AT a meeting held in Copenhagen during October 15–19, attended by delegates and experts from Great Britain, France, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Holland and Iceland, the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea was formally reconstituted for a five-year period, as from July 22, 1945. Though the last five-year period ended in 1941, the Council was kept in being throughout the War thanks to the efforts of its president, Dr. Johan Hjort, aided by financial contributions from several Continental countries, including substantial additional subsidies from Denmark. At the recent meeting Dr. Hjort (Norway) was re-elected president, and the following four vice-presidents were appointed to constitute, with the president, the Bureau or Executive Committee: Mr. A. T. A. Dobson (Great Britain), Prof. Martin Knudsen (Denmark), Dr. K. A. Andersson (Sweden) and M. Pierre Tissier (France). Dr. H. Blegvad (Denmark) was appointed general secretary in succession to the late Capt. Nellemose, who fell a victim to the Nazis. The scientific work of the Council is organized by a number of area committees, which draw up co-operative programmes of research that are reviewed by the Consultative Committee. The great majority of these committees were re-established at the recent meeting and agreement reached as to the lines of work to be pursued for the ensuing year. Dr. E. S. Russell (Great Britain) was reappointed chairman of the Consultative Committee.