DR. J. T. RANDALL has been appointed to the chair of natural philosophy in the United College, St. Andrews, in succession to Prof. H. Stanley Allen. Dr. Randall was educated at the Victoria University of Manchester under Prof. W. L. Bragg, and before joining the staff of the Research Laboratories of the General Electric Company, Ltd., Wembley, carried out research work on the scattering powers of atoms for X-rays. In 1937 he was elected a Royal Society Warren research fellow, and joined Prof. M. L. E. Oliphant in the University of Birmingham, where an intensive study of the mechanism of luminescence in solids was carried out. Publication of much of this work has been delayed for security reasons. At the outbreak of war Dr. Randall turned his attention to problems associated with radiolocation, and succeeded with Dr. H. A. H. Boot in introducing a new type of apparatus which has resulted in the saving of many lives at sea. For this work Dr. Randall and Dr. Boot were recently awarded the Thomas Gray Memorial Prize of the Royal Society of Arts. Since 1943 Dr. Randall has been a temporary lecturer in the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge.