THE Department of Coal Gas and Fuel Industries (with Metallurgy.) of the University of Leeds was established in 1906 to provide degree courses in fuel and metallurgy. In 1910 a fund was raised by the gas industry in order to perpetuate o the memory of Sir George Livesey, the distinguished gas engineer, and this was allocated to endow the chair of the Department now known as the Livesey professorship. A degree course in gas engineering was instituted at that time. Since then the Livesey Advisory Committee, which is composed of representatives of the Institution of Gas Engineers, of the Society of British Gas Industries, and of the University, has had under consideration the need for extending the courses in order to keep pace with the growth of knowledge and the increasing demands of industry. In particular, for those passing into the constructional side of the gas industry and into the larger undertakings as well as to the staffs of chemical plant manufacturers generally, a broader training is necessary. On this account the Committee recently recommended the establishment of an alternative four-year course in chemical engineering,. which has now been approved by the University ; the new course will begin with the autumn term.