IN the seventeenth annual report, for 1940-41, of the Imperial Forestry Institute (Oxford, The Holy-well Press, Ltd., 1941) it is stated that the year was the first under the new organization, one result of which is to amalgamate the Oxford School of Forestry with the Institute. The interruptions of leave and so forth naturally interfered with Colonial forest officers taking refresher courses at the Institute. As has been the case with other forestry schools, practical forestry courses had to be confined to Great Britain. The professor of forestry, Prof. H. G. Champion, was fortunate in being able to retain a certain staff at the Institute. As a consequence some degree of investigation and experimental research work was continued in sylviculture, mensuration and management, soil science (in which the valuable co-operation of Dr. M. C. Rayner of Bedford College, London, was afforded), tropical forest botany and fruit pathology.