AT the annual meeting of the Court of Governors, the Pro-Chancellor, Mr. E. P. Beale, welcomed, with relief, the announcement that the Treasury grant to the universities is not to be reduced. He also announced with gratification that contributions from the Birmingham City Council and the surrounding local authorities showed a substantial increase, due mainly to the grant of an additional £750 from the Warwickshire County Council. He regretted that it had been necessary, owing to lack of financial support, to close the Department of Industrial Hygiene and Medicine; he hoped the setback would be only temporary. He also referred to the endowment of a chair of theology by Dr. Edward Cadbury. The endowment fund (£32,000) is the largest individual benefaction received by the University in 1939.