SINCE its opening in 1920, the Royal Institute of Science, Bombay, has been recognized as the foremost college in the Presidency for the training of science students. The late Dr. A. N. Meldrum, the first principal and professor of organic chemistry, realized the importance of its being not merely an institution for the training of undergraduate students, but that it should also be an active centre of research. He was fortunate in having the support of an enthusiastic staff, and during the period of his principalship a large number of students were trained in the methods of research both in the physical and natural sciences. We have now before us the triennial report of the Institute covering the years 1934-37, and we note with pleasure the continued advancement of the Institute under the energetic and enlightened leadership of its present principal, Prof. T. S. Wheeler. The total number (315) of full-time students is not large, and of these no fewer than 94 are engaged in post-graduate work, which indicates the importance attached to original work.