THE Standing Commission on Museums and Galleries, of which Sir Evan Charteris is chairman, has just issued its second report, covering the five years 1934-38 (London: H. M. Stationery Office, 1938. 9d. net). The Commission was appointed in 1931 to advise generally on questions relevant to the most effective development of the national museums and galleries of Great Britain. The report surveys the very considerable building developments which have taken place in the period under review and directs attention especially to the part played in this by private benefactors: Lord Duveen's provision of sculpture galleries at the Tate Gallery, and one for the Elgin Marbles at the British Museum ; also Sir James Caird's benefactions to the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, and the gifts made, by Sir Alexander Grant to the National Library of Scotland, are referred to. The Commission was invited by the Treasury to advise on the general proposals for future building schemes, which would cost some £1,000,000, and to indicate an order of priority for them. Its recommendations, which it is understood have been accepted, provide for the entomology block of the Natural History Museum (second half), and the lecture hall for the Royal Scottish Museum being begun in 1938 and completed in 1939. These are to be followed by the central section of the Science Museum in 1940, the northern wing of the Natural History Museum in 1941, and the Museum of Ethnography in 1942, these being completed in from two to four years.