THE Hebrew Technical Institute in Haifa is the centre of technical training and research for the young Jewish community in Palestine. Hebrew is the language of instruction, but the college is open to all, making no distinction of race or creed ; and a few Palestine Arabs have availed themselves of this opportunity. The curriculum is extensive, and includes courses leading to university degrees in the technical college proper (500 students), a trade school for training skilled artisans and foremen (250 pupils), special vocational training classes for refugees, courses for agricultural workers, and evening classes. At present there are about a thousand students altogether; examinations are held under the supervision, and with the help of, the Palestine Government. The Institute was founded about thirty years ago ; but, owing to the Great War, did not begin its academic work until 1924. Its progress offers an opportunity for the study of the effect of colonization on the development of an educational institution.