IN a letter to NATURE1, my friend, Prof. K. C. Bailey, refers to the evidence I gave before the Free State Government's inquiry into the Pearse Street fire of October 5, 1936, where, owing to the failure of the water supply, three firemen lost their lives through carbon monoxide poisoning. Prof. Bailey's success in extinguishing a flame with a burst of gas from a high-pressure container will scarcely surprise anyone who has tried to light a gas jet (at only a few inches water-pressure) by holding a kindled match directly in its path. A draught of air, also, will extinguish a candle ; though it might perhaps be expected to contribute to the combustion. A draught does not extinguish a blast-furnace.
NATURE, 140, 503 (Sept. 18, 1937)