THE hydro-electric power scheme, known as the "Ganges Grid", was formally inaugurated on November 2, when Sir Harry Haig, Governor of the United Provinces, opened two new generating stations near Meerut, which are supplied with water-power from the Ganges Canal. The potentialities of the canal as a source of power were first investigated in 1920 in connexion with a series of local applications, and these gradually led to the development of the available resources on a larger scale, in order to extend the benefits of agricultural irrigation over a wide area. The exploitation of the "Grid" project has cost Rs. 343 lakhs (more than £2,500,000) and it now produces a gross output of 29,000 kilowatts. The energy is distributed by means of some four thousand miles of transmission lines to 1,600 substations scattered over the eight western districts of the United Provinces ; thence it is supplied to 88 towns for the purpose of pumping water from rivers or from State tube-wells for land irrigation. The power is also utilized to work agricultural machinery on private farms. Sir Harry opened at the same time the State tube-well irrigation system, consisting of considerably more than a thousand wells, the greater number of which are in operation and irrigate an area of a million and a half acres. The capital outlay on the system has been about Rs. 126 lakhs (£945,000). The execution of the "Grid" project has been in the hands of Sir William Stampe, formerly chief engineer of the Irrigation Department of the United Provinces.