HONOBABY membership of the Verein deutscher Eisenhüttenleute is likewise a mark of great distinction. Since 1881, when the Association was founded, only sixteen honorary members have been elected. Of these, only one was an Englishman, namely, Sir Hugh Bell, who was accorded that honour in 1910. Mr. James Henderson's enrolment in the list of honorary members of the Association is thus a very high tribute. Born ki Glasgow in 1868, Mr. Henderson's first appointment was in the laboratory of the Glasgow Iron and Steel Co., Ltd., at Wishaw. At that time, 1886 roughly, a plant for the making of steels by the basic Bessemer process was being laid down under the supervision of Mr. Maximilian Mannaberg, who had come from Gebrüder Stumm, Neunkirchen. This association with Mr. Mannaberg was renewed when, in 1889, Mr. Henderson moved to Frodingham in North Lincolnshire, where the basic open-hearth process was being developed and where he was to remain for the rest of his active business life. Starting as chief metallurgist, he passed through various departments before eventually becoming managing director. For forty-five years he has been associated closely with a number of significant developments. The Frodingham Works adopted the Talbot direct metal process as early as 1906 ; towards the end of the last century experiments began at Frodingham in the use of blast-furnace gas in gas engines and culminated in the installation of one of the first Cockerill (Seraing) gas-engined generating sets: the application of blast-furnace gas to blowing and power engines was continued consistently, and represents to-day a major item of economy at Frodingham: the Appleby plate mills which, on their completion in 1927, represented the last word in plate rolling practice in Europe, were a landmark in Mr. Henderson's term as managing director. He joined the Iron and Steel Institute in 1892, has been a member of Council since 1925, and honorary treasurer since 1934. In September 1936, he officiated as acting president at the Autumn Meeting of the Iron and Steel Institute held in Düsseldorf.