CHARLES JACQUES BOUCHARD, a distinguished French physician, was born on September 6, 1837. He studied medicine first at Lyons and then in Paris, where he became house physician to Charcot, with whom he afterwards collaborated in the study of certain nervous diseases. He is best known for his works on the pathology of "cerebral hæmorrhage (1866) and autointoxication (1887), both of which were translated into English, and the diseases caused by diminished nutrition (1870–80). He was also co-editor of a system of medicine with Charcot and Brissaud (1891–94) and of a treatise on general pathology in collaboration with H. Roger (1895–1903). In 1887 he founded the Revue de la Tuberculose with Verneuil, and in 1899 the Journal de Physiologie et de Pathologie Gé nérale with Chauveau as his co-editor. Bouchard was one of the first physicians in Paris to take an interest in radiology, and installed a radio -scopic apparatus at his own expense for the examination of his patients at the Charite hospital, where he was physician. In addition to occupying the chair of general pathology and therapeutics in the Paris faculty of medicine (1877) his distinctions included the presidency of the second French Congress of Medicine (1895), Société de Biologie (1896) and Academy of Sciences (1908). His death took place on October 28, 1915. The work entitled "Un Médecin Philosophe: Charles Bouchard, son œuvre et son temps", by Paul Legendre (1924), forms one of the outstanding medical biographies.