THE Swiss Seismological Commission, afterwards the Swiss Earthquake Service, is the oldest committee engaged in the study of earthquakes. For its foundation in 1878, we are indebted to the veteran geologist, Prof. Albert Heim. Two years later, it was followed by the British Association Committee on earthquakes in Japan, which, on Prof. Milne's return to Great Britain in 1895, enlarged its scope as the Seismological Committee. In 1883, shortly after the destructive Ischian earthquake of July 28, a geodynamic section was added to the Central Meteorological Office at Rome, which still carries on its useful work of studying Italian and other earthquakes ; and, in 1892, the Imperial Earthquake Investigation Committee began its similar, but more extensive, work in Japan. The Swiss Committee, under the direction of Dr. E. Wanner, has recently issued its Jahresbericht for 1935, containing three valuable tables, the first on earthquakes sensible in Switzerland, twenty-seven in number, none of which reached destructive intensity ; the second, of eighty earthquakes with origins as a rule less than three hundred miles distant ; and the third, of a hundred and fifty earthquakes recorded at the five Swiss stations (Zurich, Chur, Neuchâtel, Basel and Sion), the distances of the origins being not less than six hundred miles.
About this article