IN Prof. G. G. Henderson's absence, owing to the death of Mrs. Henderson, his medallist's address at Harrogate on July 6 to the Society of Chemical Industry, "A Retrospect of Chemical Science,“ was read by his colleague at Glasgow, Dr. D. T. Gibson. Prof. Henderson, an original member of the Society, who in 1888 was responsible for organizing the first annual meeting in Glasgow, reviewed developments in chemistry in the last sixty years, including present-day tendencies, and in referring to post-War advances in applied chemistry in Great Britain, commented on the increasing demand for the services of chemists not only by chemical industries but also by many other industries, and on the marked appreciation of the importance of chemical research. In particular, he referred to the importance of the contribution of the chemical engineer in the development of chemical industries, as indicated by the provision of facilities for his training, and the foundation of the Institution of Chemical Engineers and of the Chemical Engineering Group of the Society. The future prosperity of Great Britain, Prof. Henderson urged, largely depends on the support given to the progress of science and especially of chemistry, and in this matter a united profession is of the utmost importance if its influence on public opinion or on Government departments is to be effective. For this reason, he pleaded for generous support of the Chemical Council and the scheme for a Chemistry House, and in particular urged that important firms employing considerable numbers of chemists should do more to encourage their staffs to become individual members of at least one of the publishing societies.