IN accordance with the new arrangement for the publication of the "Annual of the British School of Archæology at Athens", the formal matter, which includes the report of the director covering the activities of members of the School during the year, the accounts, and the summary of archæological operations in the Greek area of the eastern Mediterranean in the preceding year, will in future be issued separately to subscribers, the report for the session 1935-36 being the first occasion on which the decision of the Committee takes effect. In the chronicle of the session precedence is taken by a reference to the lamented and untimely death of the director, Mr. Humfrey Payne, on May 9, 1936. Mr. A. H. G. Megaw, who took charge of the School as acting director, left in the following July to take up his duties on appointment as director of antiquities in Cyprus. Owing to the temporary closing of the British School of Archæology at Rome, a number of its students worked in the School at Athens. Excavations by members of the School were carried on at Monasteri in the Perachora, at Siphnos and at Trapeza in eastern Crete. Miss W. Lamb excavated at Kusura in Anatolia. Supplementary excavations in the Herseum of Perachora, which had been planned by Mr. Payne, were postponed until the following season. The manuscript of the account of the excavation of this important site was left in an advanced state by the late director, and it is anticipated that publication of the first volume will not be 1'ong delayed. In the chief descriptive notes of the activities of the School reference is made to some interesting discoveries in Crete. Although no further investigation of the Roman villa was possible, surface finds east of the basilica indicate that this was an important residential quarter of the Roman town in the first and second century A.D.