PROF. P. V. GOLOVIN, president of the Vitamins Council of the Soviet Commissariat of the Food Industry, has recently stated that whereas the anti-scurvy vitamin C used previously to be manufactured from conifers, it is now being made from the sweet briar rose. Vitamin C is mainly used by people living in the north and in the Arctic. In 1935 three million doses of this vitamin were manufactured in Soviet Russia, and in 1936 thirteen million doses would be turned out. Confectionery factories are now producing caramels, sugar plums and jellied sweets containing vitamin C. Two vitamin factories have been constructed in Leningrad and Schnelkovo. In the latter place a vitamin combine is being built which would produce vitamin A in addition to vitamin C. In Moscow a factory has been built for the manufacture of anti-rickets vitamin D obtained from yeast.