MR. LAWRENCE DE WHALLEY, formerly chief chemist of Messrs. Tate and Lyle, died at his home at Orpington on January 9 aged eighty-three years. He was born and educated in Lancashire, and was successful in obtaining a scholarship at the Royal School of Mines, London, where he worked under Huxley, Valentin and Edward Frankland, whose honorary assistant he became. He attended Prof. Seeley's geological excursions and was keenly interested in Nature and natural history, an interest he never forsook. At the University of London he obtained his B.Sc. with honours in physics, and was one of the original members both of the Physical Society and of the Society of Chemical Industry, being honoured at the latter's jubilee in 1931, when he was presented with its memorial plaque. He was also a fellow of the Institute of Chemistry and of the Chemical Society, a member of the Society of Public Analysts and one of the founders of the Chemical Club. His earliest appointment was at the works of Messrs. Forbes, Abbot and Leonard, now part of the South Metropolitan Gas Co. In 1890 he joined his two brothers-in-law, the late John Joseph Eastick and Charles E. Eastick, later managing director of Martineaus, Ltd., at the refinery of Messrs. Abram Lyle and Sons at Plaistow Wharf, Victoria Docks, London, and became chief chemist when J. J. Eastick left to take up an appointment in Australia. This position he held until his retirement in 1930.