WITH the December issue, which, through labour troubles, has only just become available in Great Britain, the Indian Antiquary ceases publication. The demise of this valuable periodical will be greatly regretted by all who are interested in Indian studies. For more than sixty years it has served as a medium of publication for original communications of the highest standard of scholarship, dealing with the ethnology, archaeology, history, linguistics, folk-lore and religions of India. The Indian Antiquary was founded by the late Dr. J. Burgess in 1872 and later was acquired by the late Sir Richard Temple as his sole property. Under his editorships-he was editor-in-chief for forty-six out of the fifty-one years of his connexion with it?the services of the Indian Antiquary to the cultural history of India were incalculable. Sir Richard Temple's wide knowledge of oriental subjects made him an ideal editor of a journal of this type, not merely because of his own numerous contributions to its pages, but also for the stimulus and assistance he was able to give to the studies of others. As one result of his influence may be mentioned Epigraphia Indica, the official record of epigraphic work in India, which was a direct outgrowth of work initiated by the Indian Antiquary. In 1924 Sir Richard Temple transferred his interest in the journal to a small private company, and the Royal Anthropological Institute assumed responsibility for its publication. Sir Richard Temple retained the editorship, at first in association with Mr. S. M. Edwardes, and after his death in 1927 with Mr. C. E. A. W. Oldham, who became editor-in-chief on Sir Richard's death in 1931. Owing to financial conditions the Royal Anthropological Institute felt compelled to sever its connexion with the Indian Antiquary in 1932 and during the past year it has been carried on by the editor in order to complete publication of matter in hand.