SINCE Feb. 3, 1931, the strongest earthquake in the Hawke's Bay district is that which occurred at 1.30 A.M. on Sept. 16. In 1931 the principal damage was confined to Napier, Hastings, Waipawa, and other places lying within an elongated area about fifty miles in length and directed north-north-east. The earthquake of Sept. 16, though much less intense and unaccompanied by loss of life, was strong enough to cause slight damage, such as the partial collapse of some houses at Wairoa and Gisborne, to the north of Hawke's Bay. These places lie nearly along the continuation of the areas mainly shaken in 1931, but the centres of the two meizoseismal areas are separated by about eighty miles. The point of chief interest about the recent earthquake is the continual migration of the focus in the north-north-easterly direction from 1855 until 1931 and again until Sept. 16 last.