ON Aug. 10, the new National Research Laboratories of the National Research Council of Canada were officially opened in Ottawa by the Governor-General, the Earl of Bessborough. Among other speakers at the official opening were the Prime Minister of Canada, the Right Hon. R. B. Bennett, and Dr. H. M. Tory, the president of the National Research Council and the National Research Laboratories. A description of the building and the proposed organisation of departments and staff was given in NATURE of Jan. 4, 1930. The building is severely classic in style and closely follows the design of the architect's model reproduced in our article. It comprises four stories and basement, and encloses two large interior courtyards, which give ample light to all laboratory rooms overlooking them. Under each courtyard is an arched exhibition hall. There are three main divisions of research, namely, physics and engineering, biology and agriculture, and chemistry. There is also a division of research information which will be responsible for the publication of the Canadian Journal of Research, annual reports, technical reports, and bulletins. In the south-west wing is a series of industrial exhibits. Many delegates to the Imperial Economic Conference were present at the opening ceremony, and the Right Hon. Stanley Baldwin presented a number of portraits of eminent men of science which were given by Surgeon-Capt. Hanson.