THE issue of Revue Scientifique for Aug. 13 briefly records the inauguration on July 3 of a monument to the great French mathematician, Laplace, at his birth-place, Beaumont-en-Auge (Calvados). The monument, which is the work of M. R. Delandre, has been erected by international subscription, among the principal contributors to which were Messrs. J. H. Fry and J. Flanagan, of the United States, and the two Carnegie Foundations for Science and Peace. The unveiling took place in the presence of Maréchal Franchet d'Esperey, of the Société de Géographie of Paris, and distinguished representatives of the Academy of Sciences, the Paris Observatory, and the cole Polytechnique. As recorded in NATURE for April 2, 1927, p. 493, at his death in March 1827 Laplace was buried in the Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris, but sixty-one years later, in 1888, his remains were exhumed and reinterred in the grounds of the family estate at the little hamlet of Saint Julien de Mailloc, situated between Lisieux and Orbec (Calvados). At the time of the reinterment, the monument which had marked the resting-place of Laplace in Paris was presented to the commune of Beaumont-en-Auge, and was re-erected in the cemetery there.