AN important step in the development of the Waite Institute for Agricultural Research, South Australia, was taken when the John Melrose Laboratory was officially opened at the end of April. The Institute was established some years ago as the result of a gift by the late Mr. Peter Waite to the University of Adelaide for the purpose of furthering education and research in agriculture and allied subjects. The endowment comprises the Urrbrae, Claremont, and Netherby Estates lying on the scarp of the Adelaide foothills within four miles of the city and consisting of nearly 300 acres. In addition there is a trust fund of £58,450. Of recent years considerable assistance has been forthcoming from the State Government, Empire Marketing Board, the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Imperial Chemical Industries, Ltd., and the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. The need for increased laboratory accommodation has been acutely felt, and, mainly through the generosity of Sir John Melrose in providing the sum of £10,000, a wing has been completed of what will in time constitute a large block of laboratory buildings.
Rights and permissions
About this article
Cite this article
News and Views. Nature 124, 29–32 (1929). https://doi.org/10.1038/124029a0