THE formal opening, by their Majesties the King and Queen, of the National Museum of Wales, took place at Cardiff on April 21, at a ceremony characterised by great dignity and splendour. Fifteen years ago their Majesties laid the foundation-stone of the building, and, in fulfilment of a hope expressed on that occasion, they graciously consented to open the first portion of the institution to be completed. Representatives from all parts of the Principality, embracing every side of the national life and thought of Wales, were present, while Mr. C. Tate Regan, Director of the British Museum (Natural History), and Mr. J. Charlton Deas, President of the Museums Association, represented the national and public museums of Great Britain.
Rights and permissions
About this article
Cite this article
The National Museum of Wales. Nature 119, 642–644 (1927). https://doi.org/10.1038/119642a0