WE regret to announce the death, on Augast 2, at Remuera, New Zealand, of emeritus professor Frederick Douglas Brown, at the age of seventy years. Prof. Brown began the study of chemistry in 1870, under Dr. Matthiessen, at St. Bartholomew's Hospital. On the death of Dr. Matthiessen, he continued his studies at the Royal College of Science, South Kensington and afterwards in Leipzig. On his return to England about 1876, he began research work at the London Institution with Prof. Armstrong, whom he had known at St. Bartholomew's. He then spent some time in Prof. Guthrie's laboratory and afterwards in the University Laboratory, Oxford. During this period, he was concerned in the teaching of chemistry at Cheltenham and Clifton Colleges and he also supervised the construction of the chemical laboratories in University College, Nottingham.