NEW SCIENCE BUILDINGS. THE foundation-stone of the new chemical laboratories of the University of Edinburgh, the. first of what will be known in future as the “King's Buildings” of the University, was laid on July 6 by the King, who was accompanied by the Queen and Princess Mary. These buildings are to be erected as separat blocks on a site of 115 acres acquired by the University in November,1919, mainly for the use of the scientific departments. They are situated on the southern outskirts of the city, near the Royal Observatory on Blackford Hill, and are about two miles distant from the Old College. Thousands of spectators assembled, notwithstanding the drenching rain which fell before and throughout the œremony.
Rights and permissions
About this article
Cite this article
The University of Edinburgh. Nature 105, 627 (1920). https://doi.org/10.1038/105627a0