LEEDS.—The Department of Physiology is about to-undergo extension. The work of the teachers of physiology has been divided. Dr. H. S. Raper has been appointed professor of physiology and biochemistry, and Dr. C. L. Evans has been appointed to a new chair as professor of experimental physiology, or, as it will probably be called, “experimental physiology and experimental pharmacology.” This change illustrates the trend of modern medicine and surgery. It is becoming evident that an increasing contribution to their progress is rendered possible by a detailed study of the chemical processes” met with in health and disease, and the influence upon them of substances of known chemical composition. Recent investigations furnish an example. Antiseptic action of substances containing active chlorine was undertaken early in the war by the University in conjunction with Dr. H. D. Dakin. These researches led to the introduction of two antiseptics, chloramine-T and dichloramine-T, which have been widely used in the treatment of war wounds. To carry out efficiently the new schemes involved in the above changes, increased laboratory accommodation for research will be necessary, and “additions to the apparatus in the Department of Physiology must also be provided. Prof. Raper was appointed, in 1910, lecturer in pathological chemistry at the University of Toronto, and held that post until his appointment-in 1913 as lecturer in physiological chemistry at Leeds University. He is now on military service. Prof. Evans is also on military service. His published works comprise a number of valuable papers on subjects of physiology and chemical physiology. In the important branch of the medical school-that which relates to pathology and bacteriology-there are also likely to be interesting developments in the near future.