THE history of the Royal Dublin Society is that of an extensive and efficient group of educational institutions, which still cluster, in appropriately classical buildings, round about the residence of the Dukes of Leinster. The founders of the “Dublin Society” in 1731 were anxious to improve in every way the condition of Ireland, by encouraging “husbandry, manufactures, and other useful arts.” The atmosphere of Dublin was at that date eminently progressive. London was reached by a drive to Dalkey Sound, a crossing of very doubtful duration in a sailing-packet to Anglesey, and a journey of some days by chaise and coach, including the troublesome passages of Beaumaris sands and Penmaenmawr. Lonn, moreover, was then a city to be rivalled rather than envied, and the Irish capital became adorned at this period with the handsome public buildings which remain its chief glory at. the present day. Wealthy residents occupied town-houses, decorated internally in the. most exquisite Georgian taste among these, Lord Kildare, afterwards first Duke of Leinster, built a mansion on the eastern margin of the city in 1745. In...1814 the Royal Dublin Society purchased this building, and obtained a habitation worthy of the position it, had gained (Fig. 1).