THE Liverpool Geological Society, which was established on December 13, 1859, has signalised its jubilee by the publication of this volume, which includes an account of the history of the society and its geological labours, a list of papers printed in the Proceedings, and biographical notices of some past members. The society originated from a meeting held at the residence of G. H. Morton, who was its real founder, and for about forty years the chief moving spirit among the members. A capital portrait of him is given. Well known as the author of a volume “On the Geology of the Country around Liverpool,” and of a series of important papers on the stratigraphy and palaeontology of the Carboniferous rocks of Flintshire, he was one of the most distinguished of provincial geologists. By regarding the country within fifteen miles of Liverpool as their proper sphere of study, the society took the Carboniferous limestone series of Flintshire as their foundation-rocks, together with the succeeding Millstone Grit, Permian, Trias, Pleistocene, and Recent deposits.
The Liverpool Geological Society. A Retrospect of Fifty Years' Existence and Work.
By W. Hewitt. Pp. 117. (Liverpool: C. Tinling and Co., Ltd., 1910.)
Rights and permissions
About this article
Cite this article
The Liverpool Geological Society. A Retrospect of Fifty Years' Existence and Work . Nature 83, 275 (1910). https://doi.org/10.1038/083275a0