FEW buildings devoted to the pursuit of science have a more interesting history or a more distinct individuality than the Oxford University Museum. It is the resultant of many of the most characteristic activities, and embodies some of the most earnest aspirations of the latter half of the nine-teenth century. The two chief lines of scientific and artistic effort which converged upon Benjamin Woodward's Gothic pile found their most typical exponents in Acland and Ruskin; each of them a genuine enthusiast, each with not a few of the faults of his qualities, and each destined to witness the realisation of some of his ideals and the failure of others in the fabric which forms an appropriate monument of their life-long association.
“A History of the Oxford Museum”. By Dr. H. M. Vernon and K. Dorothea Vernon . Pp. 127. (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909.) Price 1s. 6d. net.