BY the death of Prof. Pettigrew another gap has occurred in the able band who, in the last three or four years of the “fifties” of last century, studied at Edinburgh University. Born in 1834 at Boxhill, in Lanarkshire, young Pettigrew attended first Airdrie Academy and then arts' and a few divinity classes in Glasgow University. Proceeding to the University of Edinburgh as a medical student in 1856, he was first brought into notice in the senior anatomy class of Prof. Goodsir, for by devoting himself to a research on the arrangement of the muscular fibres of the heart he, with 125 marvellous dissections and 120 ingenious dra.vmgs, carried off the gold medal. By and by he became president of the Royal Medical Society in Edinburgh, and gave the “Croonian” lecture on the arrangement of the muscular fibres of the heart (after rehearsing it to his fellows in Edinburgh) to the Royal Society of London. He also won the gold-medal in the class of medical jurisprudence for an essay on the presumption of survivorship. Next he carried on a research on the cardiac nerves and their connections with the cerebro-spinal and sympathetic system, for which a gold medal was awarded on graduation day, 1861.