THE Directory issued by the Department of Science and Art in 1897, contained a section which has since become widely known, and will probably take a prominent place in educational politics for some time. The new paragraph7mdash;referred to as Clause vii.—reads as follows: “In counties and county boroughs in England which possess an organisation for the promotion of secondary education, such organisation, if recognised by the Department, may notify its willingness to be responsible to the Department for the science and art instruction within its area. In such case grants will in general be made to the managers of new schools and classes, only if they are acting in unison with such organisation. The rights of the managers of existing schools and classes will not be interfered with; and Town Councils and School Boards which are managers of schools re-receiving Science and Art grants will not be debarred from establishing in their districts additional schools where necessary. In Wales the Intermediate Education Authority is for this purpose regarded as the authority for the promotion of secondary education.” Clause vii. was repeated in the Directory for 1898, and has, since its introduction, been the cause of considerable discussion.