PROF. OPPENHEIM, whose tragic fate was briefly alluded to a few weeks since, was born at Hamburg, February 14, 1833. In 1852 he graduated from the gymnasium there, and entered the University of Bonn. Here, and at Göttingen, he pursued a widely-extended course of scientific studies until 1857, when he passed the examination for Ph.D. at the last-named place. In the same year, after a short residence at the University of Heidelberg, he proceeded to London, where he carried out a number of researches in Prof. Williamson's laboratory. From here he went to Paris, where his chemical investigations were prosecuted in the laboratory of Prof, Wurtz until 1867, when he returned to his native country and entered the University of Berlin as a privat-docent. This position was soon exchanged for that of an extraordinary professor, and early in the present year he accepted a call to the chair of chemistry in the Royal Academy of Münster. Just at the entrance of a career of widely-extended usefulness, while superintending the equipment of his new laboratory, a gloom was cast upon his path by the sudden decline of his wife, an English lady, to whom he was passionately attached. Months of watching and anxiety caused a condition of the most utter mental prostration. On September 16, within two hours of his wife's death, one of the deadliest drugs known to the chemist did its swift, painless work, and he was no more.