This protocol describes a method for the catalytic enantioselective synthesis of tertiary and quaternary carbon stereogenic centers, which are widely present in pharmaceutical and natural products. The method is based on the direct reaction between organolithium compounds, which are cheap, readily available and broadly used in chemical synthesis, and allylic electrophiles, using chiral copper catalysts. The methodology involves the asymmetric allylic alkylation (AAA) of allyl bromides, chlorides and ethers with organolithium compounds using catalyst systems based on Cu–Taniaphos and Cu–phosphoramidites. The protocol contains a complete description of the reaction setup, a method based on 1H-NMR, gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC—MS) and chiral HPLC for assaying the regioselectivity and enantioselectivity of the product, and isolation, purification and characterization procedures. Six Cu-catalyzed AAA reactions between different organolithium reagents and allylic systems are detailed in the text as representative examples of these procedures. These reactions proceed within 1–10 h, depending on the nature of the allylic substrate (bromide, chloride, or ether and disubstituted or trisubstituted) or the chiral ligand used (Taniaphos or phosphoramidite). However, the entire protocol, including workup and purification, generally requires an additional 4–7 h to complete.
At a glance
- Modern Organocopper Chemistry (eds. Krause, N., Karlström, A.S.E. & Bäckvall, J.E.) 259–288 (Wiley-VCH, 2004).
- Recent progress in asymmetric allylic substitutions catalyzed by chiral copper complexes. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 44, 4435–4439 (2005). &
- Copper catalyzed asymmetric allylic substitution reactions with organozinc and Grignard reagents. Pure Appl. Chem. 80, 1025–1037 (2008). , , , &
- Catalytic asymmetric conjugate addition and allylic alkylation with Grignard reagent. Chem. Rev. 108, 2824–2852 (2008). , , , &
- Enantioselective copper-catalyzed conjugate addition and allylic substitution reactions. Chem. Rev. 108, 2796–2823 (2008). , , , &
- Copper catalyzed asymmetric allylic alkylation. Eur. J. Org. Chem. 22, 3765–3780 (2008). &
- Copper-catalyzed enantioselective allylic substitution. Top. Organomet. Chem. 38, 235–268 (2012). &
- Baslé, O., Denicourt-Nowicki, A., Crévisy C. & Mauduit, M. Copper-Catalyzed Asymmetric Synthesis (eds. Alexakis, A., Krause, N. & Woodward, S.) Chapter 4 (Wiley-VCH, 2014).
- Asymmetric allylic substitutions using organometallic reagents. Top. Organomet. Chem. 58, 1–39 (2016). , &
- Asymmetric transition-metal-catalyzed allylic alkylations: applications in total synthesis. Chem. Rev. 103, 2921–2944 (2008). &
- Asymmetric allylic alkylation, an enabling methodology. Chem. Rev. 69, 5813–5837 (2004).
- Metal-catalyzed enantioselective allylation in asymmetric synthesis. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 47, 258–297 (2008). &
- Catalytic asymmetric carbon–carbon bond formation via allylic alkylations with organolithium compounds. Nat. Chem. 3, 377–381 (2011). et al.
- Enantioselective synthesis of tertiary and quaternary stereogenic centers: copper/phosphoramidite-catalyzed allylic alkylation with organolithium reagents. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 51, 1922–1925 (2012). et al.
- Synthesis of optically Active β- or γ-alkyl-substituted alcohols through copper-catalyzed asymmetric allylic alkylation with organolithium reagents. J. Org. Chem. 78, 8274–8280 (2013). , &
- Enantioselective synthesis of all-carbon quaternary stereogenic centers via copper-catalyzed asymmetric allylic alkylation of (Z)-allyl bromides with organolithium reagents. Chem. Eur. J. 21, 4209–4212 (2015). , , &
- Asymmetric allylic alkylation of acyclic allylic ethers with organolithium reagents. Chem. Eur. J. 18, 11880–11883 (2012). et al.
- Copper-catalyzed asymmetric ring opening of oxabicyclic alkenes with organolithium reagents. Chem. Commun. 48, 1748–1750 (2012). et al.
- The Chemistry of Organolithium Compounds. (eds. Rappoport, Z. & Marek, I.) (Weinheim, Germany: Wiley-VCH, 2004).
- Functionalized organolithium compounds: new synthetic adventures. Curr. Org. Chem. 7, 867–926 (2003). &
- Lithium Compounds in Organic Synthesis. (eds. Luisi, R. & Capriati, V.) (Wiley-VCH, 2014).
- Anctil, E.J. & Snieckus, V. Metal Catalyzed Cross-Coupling Reactions. Vol. 1; (eds. de Meijere A. & Diederich, F.) (Weinheim, Germany, 2004; pp 761–813 ).
- Ferrocenyl ligands with two phosphanyl substituents in the α,ε positions for the transition metal catalyzed asymmetric hydrogenation of functionalized double bonds. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 38, 3212–3215 (1999). , , &
- Synthesis of a new class of chiral 1,5-diphosphanylferrocene ligands and their use in enantioselective hydrogenation. Chem. Eur. J. 8, 843–852 (2002). , , &
- Phosphoramidites: privileged ligands in asymmetric catalysis. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 49, 2486–2528 (2010). &
- Enantioselective synthesis of all-carbon quaternary stereogenic centers in acyclic systems. Chem. Commun. 47, 4593–4623 (2011). &
- BF3·OEt2 and TMSOTf: a synergistic combination of Lewis acids. Chem. Commun. 4434–4436 (2006). , &
- Highly enantioselective αalkylation of aldehydes with 1,3-benzodithiolylium tetrafluoroborate: a formal organocatalytic αalkylation of aldehydes by the carbenium ion. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 50, 7842–7846 (2011). , , &
- 3-Bromopropenyl esters in organic synthesis: indium- and zinc-mediated entries to alk-1-ene-3,4-diols. J. Org. Chem. 68, 997–1006 (2003). , &
- Highly enantioselective copper-catalyzed allylic alkylation with phosphoramidite ligands. Adv. Synth. Catal. 346, 413–420 (2004). , , &
- Synthesis and use of a phosphoramidite ligand for the copper-catalyzed enantioselective allylic substitution. Tandem allylic substitution-ring closing metathesis. Synthesis, 2586–2590 (2004). , , , &
- Highly enantioselective catalytic conjugate addition and tandem conjugate addition–aldol reactions of organozinc reagents. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 36, 2620–2623 (1997). , , , &
- Copper-catalyzed conjugate addition on macrocyclic, cyclic, and acyclic enones with a chiral phosphoramidite ligand having a C2-symmetric amine moiety. Tetrahedron: Asymmetry 13, 801–804 (2002). , , &
- Catalytic asymmetric synthesis of 2,5-naphthylpyrrolidine. Synthesis 7, 1200–1204 (2010). &
- A convenient method for estimation of alkyllithium concentrations. J. Org. Chem. 41, 1879–1880 (1976). &
- The use of salicylaldehyde phenylhydrazone as an indicator for the titration of organometallic reagents. J. Org. Chem. 64, 3755–3756 (1999). &
- Sigma-Aldrich. Determination of water content in dichloromethane, methylene chloride using Karl Fischer titration. http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/technical-documents/articles/analytical-applications/karl-fischer/water-determination-in-dichloromethane-methylene-chloride.html.
- Carbenes from alkyl halides and organolithium compounds. IV. Formation of alkylcarbenes from methylene chloride and alkyllithium compounds. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 84, 809–813 (1962).
- Rapid chromatographic technique for preparative separations with moderate resolution. J. Org. Chem. 43, 2923–2925 (1978). , &
- Highly enantioselective cu-catalysed allylic substitutions with Grignard reagents. Chem. Commun. 409–411 (2006). , , &
- Tandem copper-catalyzed enantioselective allylation–metathesis. Org. Lett. 4, 4147–4149 (2002). &