icSHAPE (in vivo click selective 2-hydroxyl acylation and profiling experiment) captures RNA secondary structure at a transcriptome-wide level by measuring nucleotide flexibility at base resolution. Living cells are treated with the icSHAPE chemical NAI-N3 followed by selective chemical enrichment of NAI-N3–modified RNA, which provides an improved signal-to-noise ratio compared with similar methods leveraging deep sequencing. Purified RNA is then reverse-transcribed to produce cDNA, with SHAPE-modified bases leading to truncated cDNA. After deep sequencing of cDNA, computational analysis yields flexibility scores for every base across the starting RNA population. The entire experimental procedure can be completed in ~5 d, and the sequencing and bioinformatics data analysis take an additional 4–5 d with no extensive computational skills required. Comparing in vivo and in vitro icSHAPE measurements can reveal in vivo RNA-binding protein imprints or facilitate the dissection of RNA post-transcriptional modifications. icSHAPE reactivities can additionally be used to constrain and improve RNA secondary structure prediction models.
At a glance
- RNA and disease. Cell 136, 777–793 (2009). , &
- Structural biology. The ribosome is a ribozyme. Science 289, 878–879 (2000).
- The RNA moiety of ribonuclease P is the catalytic subunit of the enzyme. Cell 35, 849–857 (1983). , , , &
- Illuminating the silence: understanding the structure and function of small RNAs. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 8, 23–36 (2007).
- Advances in RNA structure analysis by chemical probing. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 20, 295–304 (2010).
- Causes and effects of N-terminal codon bias in bacterial genes. Science. 342, 475–479 (2013). , &
- Genome-wide mapping of RNA structure using nuclease digestion and high-throughput sequencing. Nat. Protoc. 8, 849–869 (2013). , , &
- DMS footprinting of structured RNAs and RNA-protein complexes. Nat. Protoc. 2, 2608–2623 (2007). , &
- Probing RNA structure with chemical reagents and enzymes. Curr. Protoc. Nucleic Acid Chem. Chapter 6, Unit 6.1 (2001). &
- Chemical probing of RNA with the hydroxyl radical at single-atom resolution. Nucleic Acids Res. 42, 12758–12767 (2014). , , &
- RNA structure analysis at single nucleotide resolution by selective 2′-hydroxyl acylation and primer extension (SHAPE). J. Am. Chem. Soc. 127, 4223–4231 (2005). , , &
- Beyond the linear genome: paired-end sequencing as a biophysical tool. Trends in Cell Biol. 25, 716 (2015). &
- Genome-wide measurement of RNA secondary structure in yeast. Nature 467, 103–107 (2010). et al.
- FragSeq: transcriptome-wide RNA structure probing using high-throughput sequencing. Nat. Methods 7, 995–1001 (2010). et al.
- Global analysis of RNA secondary structure in two metazoans. Cell Rep. 1, 69–82 (2012). et al.
- Multiplexed RNA structure characterization with selective 2′-hydroxyl acylation analyzed by primer extension sequencing (SHAPE-seq). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 108, 11063–11068 (2011). et al.
- Genome-wide probing of RNA structure reveals active unfolding of mRNA structures in vivo. Nature 505, 701–705 (2014). , , , &
- In vivo genome-wide profiling of RNA secondary structure reveals novel regulatory features. Nature 505, 696–700 (2014). et al.
- Mod-seq: high-throughput sequencing for chemical probing of RNA structure. RNA 20, 713–720 (2014). , , , &
- Structural imprints in vivo decode RNA regulatory mechanisms. Nature 519, 486–490 (2015). et al.
- Transposable elements modulate human RNA abundance and splicing via specific RNA-protein interactions. Genome 15, 537 (2014). , &
- iCLIP reveals the function of hnRNP particles in splicing at individual nucleotide resolution. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 17, 909–915 (2010). et al.
- RNA SHAPE analysis in living cells. Nat. Chem. Biol. 9, 18–20 (2012). et al.
- SHAPE selection (SHAPES) enrich for RNA structure signal in SHAPE sequencing-based probing data. RNA 21, 1042–1052 (2015). , , , &
- RNAstructure: software for RNA secondary structure prediction and analysis. BMC Bioinformatics 11, 129 (2010). &
- SeqFold: genome-scale reconstruction of RNA secondary structure integrating high-throughput sequencing data. Genome Res. 23, 377–387 (2013). , &
- Computational analysis of conserved RNA secondary structure in transcriptomes and genomes. Annu. Rev. Biophys. 43, 433–456 (2014).
- Chapter four-improving RNA secondary structure prediction with structure mapping data. Methods Enzymol. 553, 91–114 (2015). &
- Toward a next-generation atlas of RNA secondary structure. Brief. Bioinform. doi:10.1093/bib/bbv026 (2015). , , , &
- N(6)-methyladenosine-dependent RNA structural switches regulate RNA-protein interactions. Nature 518, 560–564 (2015). et al.
- Dissecting noncoding and pathogen RNA-protein interactomes. RNA 21, 135–43 (2015). et al.
- Mapping and quantifying mammalian transcriptomes by RNA-seq. Nat. Methods 5, 621–628 (2008). , , , &