Majorana fermions are the only fermionic particles that are expected to be their own antiparticles. Although elementary particles of the Majorana type have not been identified yet, quasi-particles with Majorana-like properties, born from interacting electrons in the solid, have been predicted to exist. Here, we present thorough experimental studies, backed by numerical simulations, of a system composed of an aluminium superconductor in proximity to an indium arsenide nanowire, with the latter possessing strong spin–orbit coupling and Zeeman splitting. An induced one-dimensional topological superconductor, supporting Majorana fermions at both ends, is expected to form. We concentrate on the characteristics of a distinct zero-bias conductance peak and its splitting in energy—both appearing only with a small magnetic field applied along the wire. The zero-bias conductance peak was found to be robustly tied to the Fermi energy over a wide range of system parameters. Although not providing definite proof of a Majorana state, the presented data and the simulations support its existence.
At a glance
- Quantum mechanics of many-electron systems. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. A 123, 714–733 (1929).
- Teoria simmetrica dell elettronee del positrone. Il Nuovo Cimento (1924-1942) 14, 171–184 (1937).
- Majorana returns. Nature Phys. 5, 614–618 (2009).
- Unpaired Majorana fermions in quantum wires. Phys.-Usp. 44, 131–136 (2001).
- Mutual friction in superfluid 3He: Effects of bound states in the vortex core. Phys. Rev. B 44, 9667–9677 (1991). &
- New directions in the pursuit of Majorana fermions in solid state systems. Rep. Prog. Phys. 75, 076501 (2012).
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1112.1950 (2011). Search for Majorana fermions in superconductors. Preprint at
- Fault-tolerant quantum computation by anyons. Ann. Phys. 303, 2–30 (2003).
- Adiabatic manipulations of Majorana fermions in a three-dimensional network of quantum wires. Phys. Rev. B 85, 144501 (2012). et al.
- Controlling non-Abelian statistics of Majorana fermions in semiconductor nanowires. Phys. Rev. B 84, 094505 (2011). , &
- Paired states of fermions in two dimensions with breaking of parity and time-reversal symmetries and the fractional quantum Hall effect. Phys. Rev. B 61, 10267 (2000). &
- Anyons in an exactly solved model and beyond. Ann. Phys. 321, 2–111 (2006).
- Non-Abelian statistics and topological quantum information processing in 1D wire networks. Nature Phys. 7, 412–417 (2011). , , , &
- Superconducting proximity effect and Majorana fermions at the surface of a topological insulator. Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 96407 (2008). &
- Generic new platform for topological quantum computation using semiconductor heterostructures. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 40502 (2010). , , &
- Non-Abelian quantum order in spin-orbit-coupled semiconductors: Search for topological Majorana particles in solid-state systems. Phys. Rev. B 82, 1–59 (2010). , , &
- Majorana fermions in a tunable semiconductor device. Phys. Rev. B 81, 125318 (2010).
- Majorana fermions and a topological phase transition in semiconductor-superconductor heterostructures. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 77001 (2010). , &
- Helical liquids and Majorana bound states in quantum wires. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 177002 (2010). , &
- Signatures of Majorana fermions in hybrid superconductor-semiconductor nanowire devices. Science 336, 1003–1007 (2012). et al.
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.4130 (2012). et al. Observation of majorana fermions in a Nb–InSb nanowire-Nb hybrid quantum device. Preprint at
- Multichannel generalization of Kitaev’s Majorana end states and a practical route to realize them in thin films. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 227003 (2010). &
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.0723 (2012). , , , & Enhanced zero-bias Majorana peak in disordered multi-subband quantum wires. Preprint at
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1207.5907v1 (2012). , , & Realistic transport modeling for a superconducting nanowire with Majorana fermions. Preprint at
- Oscillatory effects and the magnetic susceptibility of carriers in inversion layers. J. Phys. C 17, 6039–6045 (1984). &
- Quantum point contact as a probe of a topological superconductor. New J. Phys. 13, 053016 (2011). , , &
- Observing majorana bound states in p-wave superconductors using noise measurements in tunneling experiments. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 237002 (2007). &
- GaAs and InAs nanowires for ballistic transport. IEEE J. Selected Top. Quant. Electron. 17, 922–934 (2011). , , &
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.2455 (2012). et al. Entangling electrons by splitting Cooper pairs: Two-particle conductance resonance and time coincidence measurements. Preprint at
- Transition from metallic to tunneling regimes in superconducting microconstrictions: Excess current, charge imbalance, and supercurrent conversion. Phys. Rev. B 25, 4515–4532 (1982). , &
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.3085 (2012). , & Zero bias conductance peak in Majorana wires made of semiconductor-superconductor hybrid structures. Preprint at
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.4108 (2011). , , & Signature of majorana fermions in charge transport in semiconductor nanowires. Preprint at
- Majorana fermions in semiconductor nanowires. Phys. Rev. B 84, 144522 (2011). , &
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1203.4488 (2012). , & Transport spectroscopy of NS nanowire junctions with Majorana fermions. Preprint at
- Thermal conductivity of superconductors intermediate state. Soviet Phys. ZhETP 46, 1823–1828 (1964).
- Three signatures of phase-coherent Andreev reflection. Phys. Rev. B 48, 2811–2814 (1993). , &
- Observation of pair currents in superconductor-semiconductor contacts. Phys. Rev. Lett. 67, 3026–3029 (1991). et al.
- Andreev bound states in supercurrent-carrying carbon nanotubes revealed. Nature Phys. 6, 965–969 (2010). et al.
- Explanation of subharmonic energy gap structure in superconducting contacts. Physica B + C 109, 1657–1664 (1982). , &
- Kondo effect in a single-electron transistor. Nature 391, 156–159 (1998). et al.
- Spin-1/2 Kondo effect in an InAs nanowire quantum dot: Unitary limit, conductance scaling, and Zeeman splitting. Phys. Rev. B 84, 245316 (2011). et al.
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.6687 (2012). , , & Zero-voltage conductance peak from weak antilocalization in a Majorana nanowire. Preprint at
- Giant fluctuations and gate control of the g-factor in InAs nanowire quantum dots. Nano Lett. 8, 3932–3935 (2008). et al.
- Multimode Fabry–Perot conductance oscillations in suspended stacking-faults-free InAs nanowires. Nano Lett. 10, 3439–3445 (2010). , , &
- Direct measurement of the spin-orbit interaction in a two-electron InAs nanowire quantum dot. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 266801 (2007). , , , &
- Electrically tuned spin-orbit interaction in an InAs self-assembled quantum dot. Nature Nanotech. 6, 511–516 (2011). et al.
- Electron teleportation via Majorana bound states in a mesoscopic superconductor. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 56402 (2010).
- Unconventional Josephson signatures of Majorana bound states. Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 236401 (2011). et al.
- Splitting of a Cooper pair by a pair of Majorana bound states. Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 120403 (2008). , &
- Mutation of Andreev into Majorana bound states in long superconductor- normal and superconductor-normal-superconductor junctions. Phys. Rev. B 85, 235307 (2012). , , &
- Supplementary Information (2,250kb)