Experimental observation of topological order in three-dimensional bulk solids has recently led to a flurry of research activity1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21. Unlike the two-dimensional electron gas or quantum Hall systems, three-dimensional topological insulators can harbour superconductivity and magnetism, making it possible to study the interplay between topologically ordered phases and broken-symmetry states. One outcome of this interplay is the possible realization of Majorana fermions—quasiparticles that are their own antiparticles—on topological surfaces, which is of great interest in fundamental physics9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 22, 23, 24. Here we present measurements of the bulk and surface electron dynamics in Bi2Se3 doped with copper with a transition temperature Tc up to 3.8 K, observing its topological character for the first time. Our data show that superconductivity occurs in a bulk relativistic quasiparticle regime where an unusual doping mechanism causes the spin-polarized topological surface states to remain well preserved at the Fermi level of the superconductor where Cooper pairing takes place. These results suggest that the electron dynamics in superconducting Bi2Se3 are suitable for trapping non-Abelian Majorana fermions. Details of our observations constitute important clues for developing a general theory of topological superconductivity in doped topological insulators.
At a glance
- Topological insulators: The next generation. Nature Phys. 5, 378–380 (2009).
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.3895 (2010). & Topological insulators. Preprint at
- Topological insulators with inversion symmetry. Phys. Rev. B 76, 045302 (2007). &
- A topological Dirac insulator in a quantum spin Hall phase. Nature 452, 970–974 (2008). et al.
- Observation of unconventional quantum spin textures in topological insulators. Science 323, 919–922 (2009). et al.
- Observation of a large-gap topological-insulator class with a single Dirac cone on the surface. Nature Phys. 5, 398–402 (2009). et al.
- Single-Dirac-cone topological surface states in the TlBiSe2 class of topological insulators. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 036404 (2010). et al.
- A tunable topological insulator in the spin helical Dirac transport regime. Nature 460, 1101–1105 (2009). et al.
- 2008). Proc. of the L.D. Landau Memorial Conf. ‘Advances in Theoretical Physics’, June 22–26 (
- 2003). The Universe in a Helium Droplet (Clarendon Press,
- Classification of topological insulators and superconductors in three spatial dimensions. Phys. Rev. B 78, 195125 (2008). et al.
- Superconducting proximity effect and Majorana fermions at the surface of a topological insulator. Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 096407 (2008). &
- Majorana returns. Nature Phys. 5, 614–618 (2009).
- Topological order in paired states of fermions in two-dimensions with breaking of parity and time-reversal symmetries. Phys. Rev. B 80, 180504(R) (2009). , &
- Fermi surface topological invariants for time reversal invariant superconductors. Phys. Rev. B 81, 134508 (2010). , &
- Superconductivity on the surface of topological insulators and in two-dimensional noncentrosymmetric materials. Phys. Rev. B 81, 184502 (2010). et al.
- Unconventional superconductivity on a topological insulator. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 067001 (2010). et al.
- ‘Chiral’ topological insulators, superconductors and other competing orders in three-dimensions. Phys. Rev. B 81, 045120 (2010). , &
- Inverse spin-galvanic effect in a topological-insulator/ferromagnet interface. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 146802 (2010). &
- http://arxiv.org/abs/0912.3294 (2009). & Odd-parity topological superconductors: theory and application to CuxBi2Se3. Preprint at
- Warping the cone on a topological insulator. Physics 2, 108 (2009). et al.
- Superconductivity in CuxBi2Se3 and its implications for pairing in the undoped topological insulator. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 057001 (2010). et al.
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.0317 (2010). et al. Superconductivity and non-metallicity induced by doping the topological insulators Bi2Se3 and Bi2Te3. Preprint at
- Exotic matter: Another dimension for anyons. Nature 464, 693–694 (2010).
- Amphoteric nature of copper in Bi2Se3 crystals. Appl. Phys. 5, 217–221 (1974).
- 2002). et al. in The Physics of Conventional and Unconventional Superconductors (eds Bennemann, K. H. & Ketterson, J. B.) (Springer-Verlag,
- Low-lying quasiparticle states and hidden collective charge instabilities in parent cobaltate superconductors. Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 216405 (2006). et al.
- Observation of time-reversal-protected single-Dirac-cone topological-insulator states in Bi2Te3 and Sb2Te3 . Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 146401 (2009). et al.
- Half-Heusler ternary compounds as new multifunctional experimental platforms for topological quantum phenomena. Nature Mater. 9, 546–549 (2010). et al.
- 2001). et al. Computer Code WIEN2K (Vienna Universityof Technology,
- Supplementary Information (400k)