Adiabatic processes are useful for quantum technologies1, 2, 3 but, despite their robustness to experimental imperfections, they remain susceptible to decoherence due to their long evolution time. A general strategy termed shortcuts to adiabaticity4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (STA) aims to remedy this vulnerability by designing fast dynamics to reproduce the results of a slow, adiabatic evolution. Here, we implement an STA technique known as superadiabatic transitionless driving10 (SATD) to speed up stimulated Raman adiabatic passage1, 11, 12, 13, 14 in a solid-state lambda system. Using the optical transitions to a dissipative excited state in the nitrogen-vacancy centre in diamond, we demonstrate the accelerated performance of different shortcut trajectories for population transfer and for the initialization and transfer of coherent superpositions. We reveal that SATD protocols exhibit robustness to dissipation and experimental uncertainty, and can be optimized when these effects are present. These results suggest that STA could be effective for controlling a variety of solid-state open quantum systems11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16.
At a glance
- Laser-induced population transfer by adiabatic passage techniques. Annu. Rev. Phys. Chem. 52, 763–809 (2001). , , &
- Holonomic quantum computation. Phys. Lett. A 264, 94–99 (1999). &
- Quantum simulation of frustrated Ising spins with trapped ions. Nature 465, 590–593 (2010). et al.
- Adiabatic population transfer with control fields. J. Phys. Chem. A 107, 9937–9945 (2003). &
- Transitionless quantum driving. J. Phys. A 42, 365303 (2009).
- Shortcut to adiabatic passage in two- and three-level atoms. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 123003 (2010). , , , &
- Lewis–Riesenfeld invariants and transitionless quantum driving. Phys. Rev. A 83, 062116 (2011). , &
- Shortcuts to adiabaticity. Adv. At. Mol. Opt. Phy. 62, 117–169 (2013). et al.
- Classical and quantum shortcuts to adiabaticity for scale-invariant driving. Phys. Rev. X 4, 021013 (2014). , &
- Speeding up adiabatic quantum state transfer by using dressed states. Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 230503 (2016). , &
- Optically driven Rabi oscillations and adiabatic passage of single electron spins in diamond. Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 116403 (2014). &
- Optical manipulation of Berry phase in a solid-state spin qubit. Nat. Photon. 10, 184–189 (2016). et al.
- Stimulated Raman adiabatic passage in a three-level superconducting circuit. Nat. Commun. 7, 10628 (2016). , , &
- Coherent population transfer between uncoupled or weakly coupled states in ladder-type superconducting qutrits. Nat. Commun. 7, 11018 (2016). et al.
- Optomechanical dark mode. Science 338, 1609–1613 (2012). , , &
- Raman coherence in a circuit quantum electrodynamics lambda system. Nat. Phys. 12, 75–79 (2015). et al.
- High-fidelity quantum driving. Nat. Phys. 8, 147–152 (2011). et al.
- Experimental implementation of assisted quantum adiabatic passage in a single spin. Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 240501 (2013). et al.
- Shortcut to adiabaticity for an interacting Bose–Einstein condensate. Europhys. Lett. 93, 23001 (2011). , , , &
- Shortcuts to adiabaticity by counterdiabatic driving for trapped-ion displacement in phase space. Nat. Commun. 7, 12999 (2016). , , &
- Assisted finite-rate adiabatic passage across a quantum critical point: exact solution for the quantum Ising model. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 115703 (2012). , &
- Multiple Schrodinger pictures and dynamics in shortcuts to adiabaticity. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 100403 (2012). , , , &
- Optimum pulse shapes for stimulated Raman adiabatic passage. Phys. Rev. A 80, 013417 (2009). , &
- Laser cooling and real-time measurement of the nuclear spin environment of a solid-state qubit. Nature 478, 497–501 (2011). , , &
- Quantum error correction in a solid-state hybrid spin register. Nature 506, 204–207 (2014). et al.
- Universal control and error correction in multi-qubit spin registers in diamond. Nat. Nanotech. 9, 171–176 (2014). , , , &
- Coherent manipulation, measurement and entanglement of individual solid-state spins using optical fields. Nat. Photon. 9, 363–373 (2015). , , &
- Coherent feedback control of a single qubit in diamond. Nature 532, 77–80 (2016). &
- Nitrogen-vacancy centers in diamond: nanoscale sensors for physics and biology. Annu. Rev. Phys. Chem. 65, 83–105 (2014). , , &
- Control and coherence of the optical transition of single nitrogen vacancy centers in diamond. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 177403 (2010). , , &
- Coherent population trapping of single spins in diamond under optical excitation. Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 247401 (2006). et al.
- All-optical control of a solid-state spin using coherent dark states. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 110, 7595–7600 (2013). et al.
- Experimental realization of stimulated Raman shortcut-to-adiabatic passage with cold atoms. Nat. Commun. 7, 12479 (2016). et al.
- Supplementary information (2,525 KB)