Statistical mechanics is founded on the assumption that all accessible configurations of a system are equally likely. This requires dynamics that explore all states over time, known as ergodic dynamics. In isolated quantum systems, however, the occurrence of ergodic behaviour has remained an outstanding question1, 2, 3, 4. Here, we demonstrate ergodic dynamics in a small quantum system consisting of only three superconducting qubits. The qubits undergo a sequence of rotations and interactions and we measure the evolution of the density matrix. Maps of the entanglement entropy show that the full system can act like a reservoir for individual qubits, increasing their entropy through entanglement. Surprisingly, these maps bear a strong resemblance to the phase space dynamics in the classical limit; classically, chaotic motion coincides with higher entanglement entropy. We further show that in regions of high entropy the full multi-qubit system undergoes ergodic dynamics. Our work illustrates how controllable quantum systems can investigate fundamental questions in non-equilibrium thermodynamics.
At a glance
- Quantum statistical mechanics in a closed system. Phys. Rev. A 43, 2046–2049 (1991).
- Chaos and quantum thermalization. Phys. Rev. E 50, 888–901 (1994).
- Thermalization and its mechanism for generic isolated quantum systems. Nature 452, 854–858 (2008). , &
- Colloquium: nonequilibrium dynamics of closed interacting quantum systems. Rev. Mod. Phys. 83, 863–883 (2011). , , &
- 2002). Chaos in Dynamical Systems (Cambridge Univ. Press,
- 1990). Chaos in Classical and Quantum Mechanics Vol. 1 (Springer Science and Business Media,
- A quantum Newton’s cradle. Nature 440, 900–903 (2006). , &
- Thermalization of a two-dimensional photonic gas in a white wall photon box. Nature Phys. 6, 512–515 (2010). , &
- Light-cone-like spreading of correlations in a quantum many-body system. Nature 481, 484–487 (2012). et al.
- Probing the relaxation towards equilibrium in an isolated strongly correlated one-dimensional Bose gas. Nature Phys. 8, 325–330 (2012). et al.
- Local emergence of thermal correlations in an isolated quantum many-body system. Nature Phys. 9, 640–643 (2013). , , , &
- Non-local propagation of correlations in quantum systems with long-range interactions. Nature 511, 198–201 (2014). et al.
- Observation of many-body localization of interacting fermions in a quasi-random optical lattice. Science 349, 842–845 (2015). et al.
- Entanglement as a signature of quantum chaos. Phys. Rev. E 70, 016217 (2004). , , &
- Chaos, entanglement, and decoherence in the quantum kicked top. Phys. Rev. A 78, 042318 (2008). , , , &
- Entanglement and chaos in the kicked top. Phys. Rev. E 83, 016207 (2011). &
- Quantum signatures of chaos in a kicked top. Nature 461, 768–771 (2009). , , , &
- Classical and quantum chaos for a kicked top. Z. Phys. B 65, 381–395 (1987). , &
- Coherent Josephson qubit suitable for scalable quantum integrated circuits. Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 080502 (2013). et al.
- Qubit architecture with high coherence and fast tunable coupling. Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 220502 (2014). et al.
- Tunable coupler for superconducting Xmon qubits: perturbative nonlinear model. Phys. Rev. A 92, 012320 (2015). et al.
- Generation of three-qubit entangled states using superconducting phase qubits. Nature 467, 570–573 (2010). et al.
- Coherence dynamics of kicked Bose–Hubbard dimers: interferometric signatures of chaos. Phys. Rev. E 87, 012910 (2013). , &
- Signatures of chaos in the dynamics of quantum discord. Phys. Rev. E 91, 032906 (2015). , , &
- Testing statistical bounds on entanglement using quantum chaos. Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 060402 (2002). &
- Entangling power of quantized chaotic systems. Phys. Rev. E 64, 036207 (2001).
- Signatures of chaos in the entanglement of two coupled quantum kicked tops. Phys. Rev. E 60, 1542–1550 (1999). &
- Nonlinear phase-dynamics in a driven bosonic Josephson junction. Phys. Rev. E 104, 240402 (2010). , , &
- Phase-diffusion dynamics in weakly coupled Bose–Einstein condensates. Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 180403 (2009). , , &
- The Bakerian Lecture, 1987: Quantum chaology. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 413, 183–198 (1987).
- Average entropy of a subsystem. Phys. Rev. Lett. 71, 1291–1294 (1993).
- Weak and strong typicality in quantum systems. Phys. Rev. E 86, 010102 (2012). , &
- Microscopic diagonal entropy and its connection to basic thermodynamic relations. Ann. Phys. 326, 486–499 (2011).
- Experimental observation of quantum chaos in a beam of light. Nature Commun. 3, 1211 (2012). , , , &
- Supplementary information (5,795,865 KB)