Controllable quantum devices open novel directions to both quantum computation and quantum simulation. Recently, a problem known as boson sampling has been shown to provide a pathway for solving a computationally intractable problem without the need for a full quantum computer, instead using a linear optics quantum set-up. In this work, we propose a modification of boson sampling for the purpose of quantum simulation. In particular, we show that, by means of squeezed states of light coupled to a boson sampling optical network, one can generate molecular vibronic spectra, a problem for which no efficient classical algorithm is currently known. We provide a general framework for carrying out these simulations via unitary quantum optical transformations and supply specific molecular examples for future experimental realization.
At a glance
- Rapid solution of problems by quantum computation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 439, 553–558 (1992). &
- Quantum mechanics helps in searching for a needle in a haystack. Phys. Rev. Lett. 79, 325–328 (1997).
- Polynomial-time algorithms for prime factorization and discrete logarithms on a quantum computer. SIAM Rev. 41, 303–332 (1999).
- Quantum simulation. Rev. Mod. Phys. 86, 153–185 (2014). , &
- Photonic quantum simulators. Nature Phys. 8, 285–291 (2012). &
- Quantum simulations with ultracold quantum gases. Nature Phys. 8, 267–276 (2012). , &
- Quantum simulations with trapped ions. Nature Phys. 8, 277–284 (2012). &
- Universal quantum simulators. Science 273, 1073–1077 (1996).
- Simulated quantum computation of molecular energies. Science 309, 1704–1707 (2005). , , &
- Simulating chemistry using quantum computers. Ann. Rev. Phys. Chem. 62, 185–207 (2011). , , , &
- Chemical basis of Trotter–Suzuki errors in quantum chemistry simulation. Phys. Rev. A 91, 022311 (2015). , , , &
- 333–342 (ACM, 2011). & in Proceedings of the 43rd Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (eds Fortnow, L. & Vadhan, S.)
- Boson sampling on a photonic chip. Science 339, 798–801 (2013). et al.
- Photonic boson sampling in a tunable circuit. Science 339, 794–798 (2013). et al.
- Integrated multimode interferometers with arbitrary designs for photonic boson sampling. Nature Photon. 7, 545–549 (2013). et al.
- Experimental boson sampling. Nature Photon. 7, 540–544 (2013). et al.
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1403.4459v6 (2014). Conditions for an experimental boson-sampling computer to disprove the extended Church–Turing thesis. Preprint at
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1401.2199v2 (2014). , , & Will boson-sampling ever disprove the extended Church–Turing thesis? Preprint at
- Franck–Condon factors for polyatomic molecules. J. Chem. Phys. 41, 3453–3463 (1964). &
- Dynamical symmetry of vibronic transitions in polyatomic molecules and the Franck–Condon principle. J. Mol. Spectrosc. 64, 302–326 (1977). , &
- Franck–Condon factors for multidimensional harmonic oscillators. Chem. Phys. 228, 227–240 (1998). &
- Algorithm for computing Franck–Condon overlap integrals. Int. J. Quantum Chem. 77, 383–392 (2000). &
- Vibronic transitions in large molecular systems: rigorous prescreening conditions for Franck–Condon factors. J. Chem. Phys. 127, 234101 (2007). , &
- Effective method to compute vibrationally resolved optical spectra of large molecules at finite temperature in the gas phase and in solution. J. Chem. Phys. 126, 184102 (2007). , , &
- The Harvard Clean Energy Project: large-scale computational screening and design of organic photovoltaics on the world community grid. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2, 2241–2251 (2011). et al.
- Improving the performance of doped π-conjugated polymers for use in organic light-emitting diodes. Nature 405, 661–665 (2000). et al.
- The vibronic structure of electronic absorption spectra of large molecules: a time-dependent density functional study on the influence of ‘exact’ Hartree–Fock exchange. J. Phys. Chem. A 108, 10225–10237 (2004). &
- Robustness of electronic coherence in the Fenna–Matthews–Olson complex to vibronic and structural modifications. Faraday Discuss. 150, 459–469 (2011). , , , &
- Ionization spectroscopy of DNA base: vacuum-ultraviolet mass-analyzed threshold ionization spectroscopy of jet-cooled thymine. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 127, 15674–15675 (2005). , &
- The importance of the electron spectrum in multiatomic molecules. Concerning the Franck–Condon principle. Acta Physicochim. URSS 7, 551–566 (1937).
- Multimode squeeze operators and squeezed states. Phys. Rev. A 41, 4625–4631 (1990). &
- http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0406127 (2004). Permanents in linear optical networks. Preprint at
- 2011). Unified Description of Vibronic Transitions with Coherent States. PhD thesis, Goethe Univ. Frankfurt (
- Boson sampling from a Gaussian state. Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 100502 (2014). et al.
- Effective method for the computation of optical spectra of large molecules at finite temperature including the Duschinsky and Herzberg–Teller effect: the Qx band of porphyrin as a case study. J. Chem. Phys. 128, 224311 (2008). , , , &
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1408.3712v1 (2014). , & What can quantum optics say about complexity theory? Preprint at
- Sampling arbitrary photon-added or photon-subtracted squeezed states is in the same complexity class as boson sampling. Phys. Rev. A 91, 022317 (2015). , , , &
- Algorithms for exact counting of energy levels of spectroscopic transitions at different temperatures. J. Comput. Chem. 18, 1312–1319 (1997). &
- Calculation of the vibronic fine structure in electronic spectra at higher temperatures. 1. Benzene and pyrazine. J. Phys. Chem. 102, 7157–7176 (1998). , &
- He I photoelectron spectroscopy of four isotopologues of formic acid: HCOOH, HCOOD, DCOOH and DCOOD. Chem. Phys. 286, 15–43 (2003). et al.
- On the experimental verification of quantum complexity in linear optics. Nature Photon. 8, 621–626 (2014). et al.
- Universal optical amplification without nonlinearity. Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 163602 (2006). , , , &
- Demonstration of deterministic and high fidelity squeezing of quantum information. Phys. Rev. A 76, 060301(R) (2007). et al.
- Exploring a new regime for processing optical qubits: squeezing and unsqueezing single photons. Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 013601 (2014). et al.
- A polynomial-time approximation algorithm for the permanent of a matrix with nonnegative entries. J. ACM 51, 671–697 (2004). , &
- Franck–Condon profiles in photodetachment–photoelectron spectra of HS2− and DS2− based on vibrational configuration interaction wavefunctions. Mol. Phys. 108, 409–423 (2010). , , &
- Application of time-independent cumulant expansion to calculation of Franck–Condon profiles for large molecular systems. Faraday Discuss. 150, 363–373 (2011). &
- Coherent state-based generating function approach for Franck–Condon transitions and beyond. J. Phys. Conf. Ser. 380, 012019 (2012). &
- From moments of sum to moments of product. J. Multivariate Anal. 99, 542–554 (2008).
- Supplementary information (338 KB)