Quantum entanglement is a fundamental resource for secure information processing and communications, and hyperentanglement or high-dimensional entanglement has been separately proposed for its high data capacity and error resilience. The continuous-variable nature of the energy–time entanglement makes it an ideal candidate for efficient high-dimensional coding with minimal limitations. Here, we demonstrate the first simultaneous high-dimensional hyperentanglement using a biphoton frequency comb to harness the full potential in both the energy and time domain. Long-postulated Hong–Ou–Mandel quantum revival is exhibited, with up to 19 time-bins and 96.5% visibilities. We further witness the high-dimensional energy–time entanglement through Franson revivals, observed periodically at integer time-bins, with 97.8% visibility. This qudit state is observed to simultaneously violate the generalized Bell inequality by up to 10.95 standard deviations while observing recurrent Clauser–Horne–Shimony–Holt S-parameters up to 2.76. Our biphoton frequency comb provides a platform for photon-efficient quantum communications towards the ultimate channel capacity through energy–time–polarization high-dimensional encoding.
At a glance
- Experimental high-dimensional two-photon entanglement and violations of generalized Bell inequalities. Nature Phys. 7, 677–680 (2011). , , , &
- Beating the channel capacity of linear photonic superdense coding. Nature Phys. 4, 282–286 (2008). , &
- One-way quantum computing in the optical frequency comb. Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 130501 (2008). , &
- Generation and confirmation of a (100 × 100)-dimensional entangled quantum system. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 111, 6243–6247 (2014). et al.
- Fisher information and entanglement of non-Gaussian spin states. Science 345, 424–427 (2014). et al.
- Efficient high-dimensional entanglement imaging with a compressive-sensing double-pixel camera. Phys. Rev. X 3, 011013 (2013). &
- Experimental demonstration of a hyper-entangled ten-qubit Schrödinger cat state. Nature Phys. 6, 331–335 (2010). et al.
- Experimental demonstration of phase measurement precision beating standard quantum limit by projection measurement. Europhys. Lett. 82, 24001 (2008). et al.
- Experimentally friendly geometrical criteria for entanglement. Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 140403 (2008). , , , &
- Quantum entanglement of high angular momenta. Science 338, 640–643 (2012). et al.
- Interface between path and orbital angular momentum entanglement for high-dimensional photonic quantum information. Nature Commun. 5, 4502 (2014). et al.
- Quantum correlations in optical angle–orbital angular momentum variables. Science 329, 662–665 (2010). et al.
- Quantum walks of correlated photons. Science 329, 1500–1503 (2010). et al.
- Imaging high-dimensional spatial entanglement with a camera. Nature Commun. 3, 984 (2012). et al.
- Quantum mutual information capacity for high-dimensional entangled states. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 143603 (2012). , , &
- Bell inequality for position and time. Phys. Rev. Lett. 62, 2205–2208 (1989).
- Three-photon energy–time entanglement. Nature Phys. 9, 19–22 (2013). et al.
- Long-distance distribution of genuine energy–time entanglement. Nature Commun. 4, 2871 (2013). et al.
- Bell-type test of energy–time entangled qutrits. Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 010503 (2004). , , &
- Quantum magic bullets by means of entanglement. J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 19, 312–318 (2002). , &
- Large-alphabet quantum key distribution using energy–time entangled bipartite states. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 060503 (2007). , &
- Photon-efficient quantum key distribution using time–energy entanglement with high-dimensional encoding. New J. Phys. 17, 022002 (2015). et al.
- Deterministic quantum teleportation of photonic quantum bits by a hybrid technique. Nature 500, 315–318 (2013). , , , &
- Time-bin entangled photons from a quantum dot. Nature Commun. 5, 4251 (2014). et al.
- Time-bin entangled qubits for quantum communication created by femtosecond pulses. Phys. Rev. A 66, 062308 (2002). et al.
- Tailoring photonic entanglement in high-dimensional Hilbert spaces. Phys. Rev. A 69, 050304(R) (2004). et al.
- Wavelength-multiplexed quantum networks with ultrafast frequency combs. Nature Photon. 8, 109–112 (2014). , , , &
- Generation and characterization of multimode quantum frequency combs. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 083601 (2012). et al.
- Mode-locked two-photon states. Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 163602 (2003). , &
- Coincidence dips and revivals from a Type-II optical parametric amplifier. Technical Digest of Topical Conference on Nonlinear Optics, paper FC7-1, Maui, HI, 2002.
- Measurement of subpicosecond time intervals between two photons by interference. Phys. Rev. Lett. 59, 2044–2046 (1987). , &
- High performance photon-pair source based on a fiber-coupled periodically poled KTiOPO4 waveguide. Opt. Express 17, 12019–12030 (2009). , , &
- Quantum communication. Nature Photon. 1, 165–171 (2007). &
- Avalanche discrimination and high-speed counting in periodically gated single-photon avalanche diodes. Proc. SPIE. 8375, 83750Z (2012). &
- High speed single photon detection in the near infrared. Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 041114 (2007). , , &
- Supplementary information (48 KB)