Medical X-ray imaging requires cost-effective and high-resolution flat-panel detectors for the energy range between 20 and 120 keV. Solution-processed photodetectors provide the opportunity to fabricate detectors with a large active area at low cost. Here, we present a disruptive approach that improves the resolution of such detectors by incorporating terbium-doped gadolinium oxysulfide scintillator particles into an organic photodetector matrix. The X-ray induced light emission from the scintillators is absorbed within hundreds of nanometres, which is negligible compared with the pixel size. Hence, optical crosstalk, a limiting factor in the resolution of scintillator-based X-ray detectors, is minimized. The concept is validated with a 256 × 256 pixel detector with a resolution of 4.75 lp mm−1 at a MTF = 0.2, significantly better than previous stacked scintillator-based flat-panel detectors. We achieved a resolution that proves the feasibility of solution-based detectors in medical applications. Time-resolved electrical characterization showed enhanced charge carrier mobility with increased scintillator filling, which is explained by morphological changes.
At a glance
- Flat detectors and their clinical applications. Eur. Radiol. 15, 1934–1947 (2005).
- Energy-resolved X-ray detectors: the future of diagnostic imaging. Rep.Med. Imag. 8, 1–13 (2015).
- Direct conversion x-ray sensors: Sensitivity, DQE and MTF. IEEE Proc. Circ. Dev. Syst. 150, 258–266 (2003). et al.
- X-ray imaging performance of structured cesium iodide scintillators. Med. Phys. 31, 2594–2605 (2004). , &
- Effect of humidity on scintillation performance in Na and Tl activated CsI crystals. IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 61, 1024–1031 (2014). , , &
- Amorphous and polycrystalline photoconductors for direct conversion flat panel x-ray image sensors. Sensors 11, 5112–5157 (2011). et al.
- Effect of repeated x-ray exposure on the resolution of amorphous selenium based x-ray imagers. Med. Phys. 37, 1339–1349 (2010). et al.
- X-ray sensitivity of photoconductors: application to stabilized a-Se. J. Phys. D 33, 2853–2865 (2000).
- X-ray imager using solution processed organic transistor arrays and bulk heterojunction photodiodes on thin, flexible plastic substrate. Org. Electron. 14, 2602–2609 (2013). et al.
- Fully spray coated organic photodiodes. Nano Lett. 9, 980–983 (2009). et al.
- A round robin study of flexible large-area roll-to-roll processed polymer solar cell modules. Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 93, 1968–1977 (2009). et al.
- Polymer–fullerene bulk-heterojunction solar cells. Adv. Mater. 22, 3839–3856 (2009). et al.
- Ultrafast photoinduced electron transfer in conducting polymer buckminsterfullerene composites. Chem. Phys. Lett. 213, 389–394 (1993). et al.
- 25th anniversary article: bulk heterojunction solar cells: understanding the mechanism of operation. Adv. Mater. 26, 10–28 (2014).
- Plastic solar cells. Adv. Funct. Mater. 11, 15–26 (2001). , &
- Near-infrared imaging with quantum-dot-sensitized organic photodiodes. Nature Photon. 3, 332–336 (2009). et al.
- Enhanced x-ray detection sensitivity in semiconducting polymer diodes containing metallic nanoparticles. J. Phys. D 46, 275102 (2013). et al.
- Radiation induced recombination centers in organic solar cells. Phys. Rev. B 85, 205211 (2012). , &
- A method for measuring the presampled MTF of digital radiographic systems using an edge test device. Med. Phys. 25, 102–113 (1998). , &
- International Commission on Radiation Units. Patient dosimetry for X rays used in medical imaging. J. ICRU 5, http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jicru/ndi016 (2005).
- Nanoparticle-assisted high photoconductive gain in composites of polymer and fullerene. Nature Nanotech. 3, 543–547 (2008). , , , &
- 1928). & Electron Emission in Intense Electric Fields (Royal Society,
- Carrier injection into semiconducting polymers: Fowler-Nordheim field-emission tunneling. Synthetic Met. 67, 23–29 (1994). , &
- Organic semiconductor density of states controls the energy level alignment at electrode interfaces. Nature Commun. 5, 4174 (2014). , &
- Barrier formation at metal organic interfaces: dipole formation and the charge neutrality level. Appl. Surf. Sci. 234, 107–112 (2004). et al.
- Space charge region effects in bidirectional illuminated P3HT: PCBM bulk heterojunction photodetectors. Org. Electron. 22, 29–34 (2015). et al.
- Work function tuning for high-performance solution-processed organic photodetectors with inverted structure. Adv. Mater. 25, 6534–6538 (2013). et al.
- Charge transport and recombination in bulk heterojunction solar cells studied by the photoinduced charge extraction in linearly increasing voltage technique. Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, 112104 (2005). et al.
- Extraction current transients: new method of study of charge transport in microcrystalline silicon. Phys. Rev. Lett. 84, 4946 (2000). et al.
- Extraction of photogenerated charge carriers by linearly increasing voltage in the case of Langevin recombination. Phys. Rev. B 84, 155202 (2011). et al.
- Features of current transients of photogenerated charge carriers, extracted by linearly increased voltage. Chem. Phys. 404, 56–59. (2012). et al.
- Charge carrier mobility and lifetime of organic bulk heterojunctions analyzed by impedance spectroscopy. Org. Electron. 9, 847–851 (2008). et al.
- Absence of structural impact of noble nanoparticles on P3HT: PCBM blends for plasmon enhanced bulk-heterojunction organic solar cells probed by synchrotron GI-XRD. Sci. Rep. 5, 10633 (2015). , , , &
- The influence of substrate and top electrode on the crystallization dynamics of P3HT:PCBM blends. Energy Proc. 31, 60–68 (2012). et al.
- Dynamics of crystallization and disorder during annealing of P3HT/PCBM bulk heterojunctions. Macromolecules 44, 2725–2734 (2011). et al.
- Effects of thermal annealing upon the nanomorphology of poly (3-hexylselenophene)-PCBM blends. Macromol. Rapid Comm. 32, 1454–1460 (2011). et al.
- Gd2O2S:Eu3+ and Gd2O2S:Eu3+/Gd2O2S hollow microspheres: Solvothermal preparation and luminescence properties. J.Alloy. Compd. 532, 34–40 (2012). et al.
- Crystal structure of Cu2Gd2/3S2: interlayer short-range order of Gd vacancies. J. Solid State Chem. 152, 332–339 (2000). , , &
- The preparation, lattice parameters and some chemical properties of the rare earth mono-thio oxides. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 80, 43–44 (1958).
- Effects of thermal annealing upon the morphology of polymer–fullerene blends. Adv. Funct. Mater. 20, 3519–3529 (2010). et al.
- Imaging the evolution of nanoscale photocurrent collection and transport networks during annealing of polythiophene/fullerene solar cells. Nano Lett. 9, 2946–2952 (2009). , &
- Improved power conversion efficiency of P3HT: PCBM organic solar cells by strong spin–orbit coupling-induced delayed fluorescence. Adv. Eng. Mater. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/aenm.201401770 (2015). et al.
- Supplementary information (1.50 MB)