Today's brightest coherent X-ray sources, X-ray free-electron lasers, produce ultrafast X-ray pulses for which full-width at half-maximum durations as short as 3 fs have been measured1. There has been a marked increase in the popularity of such short pulses now that optical timing techniques have begun to report an X-ray/optical delay below ∼10 fs r.m.s. errors. As a result, sub-10 fs optical pulses have been implemented at the Linac Coherent Light Source (LCLS) X-ray beamlines, thus warranting a push to reduce the error in X-ray/optical delay measurements to the 1 fs level. Here, we report a unique two-dimensional spectrogram measurement of the relative X-ray/optical delay. This easily scalable relative delay measurement already surpasses previous techniques by an order of magnitude with its sub-1 fs temporal resolution and opens up the prospect of time-resolved X-ray measurements to the attosecond community.
At a glance
- Femtosecond X-ray pulse characterization in free-electron lasers using a cross-correlation technique. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 254802 (2012). et al.
- Ultrafast bond softening in bismuth: mapping a solid's interatomic potential with X-rays. Science 315, 633–636 (2007). et al.
- Time-resolved pump–probe experiments at the LCLS. Opt. Express 18, 17620–17630 (2010). et al.
- Development of ultrafast pump and probe experimental system at SACLA. J. Phys. Conf. Ser. 425, 092009 (2013). et al.
- Femtosecond X-ray pulse temporal characterization in free-electron lasers using a transverse deflector. Phys. Rev. ST Accel. Beams 14, 120701 (2011). et al.
- Ultrafast X-ray pulse characterization at free-electron lasers. Nature Photon. 6, 852–857 (2012). et al.
- Ultrafast X-ray experiments using terahertz excitation. Synchrotron Radiat. News 25, 17–24 (2012). &
- Time-to-space mapping in a gas medium for the temporal characterization of vacuum-ultraviolet pulses. Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 121112 (2007). et al.
- Spectral encoding of X-ray/optical relative delay. Opt. Express 19, 21855–21865 (2011). et al.
- X-ray–optical cross-correlator for gas-phase experiments at the Linac Coherent Light Source free-electron laser. Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 121107 (2012). et al.
- Temporal cross-correlation of X-ray free electron and optical lasers using soft X-ray pulse induced transient reflectivity. Opt. Express 20, 11396–11406 (2012). et al.
- Achieving few-femtosecond time-sorting at hard X-ray free-electron lasers. Nature Photon. 7, 215–218 (2013). et al.
- Single-shot pulse duration monitor for extreme ultraviolet and X-ray free-electron lasers. Nature Commun. 4, 1731 (2013). et al.
- Multidimensional attosecond resonant X-ray spectroscopy of molecules: lessons from the optical regime. Annu. Rev. Phys. Chem. 64, 101–127 (2013). , , &
- Two-dimensional stimulated resonance Raman spectroscopy of molecules with broadband X-ray pulses. J. Chem. Phys 136, 174117 (2012). , , &
- A femtosecond X-ray/optical cross-correlator. Nature Photon. 2, 165–169 (2008). et al.
- X-ray pulse preserving single-shot optical cross-correlation method for improved experimental temporal resolution. Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 121108 (2012). et al.
- Single-pulse time- and fluence-resolved optical measurements at femtosecond excited surfaces. Appl. Phys. A 69, 577–579 (1999). , &
- Spectral encoding based measurement of X-ray/optical relative delay to ∼10 fs rms. Proc. SPIE 8504, 85040M (2012). et al.
- Characterization of arbitrary femtosecond pulses using frequency-resolved optical gating. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 29, 571–579 (1993). &
- Unified model of secondary electron cascades in diamond. J. Appl. Phys. 97, 064905 (2005). , &
- Nonthermal phase transitions in semiconductors induced by a femtosecond extreme ultraviolet laser pulse. New J. Phys. 15, 015016 (2013). , &
- Inducing and probing non-thermal transitions in semiconductors using femtosecond laser pulses. Nature Mater. 1, 217–224 (2002). &
- Time-frequency distributions—a review. Proc. IEEE 77, 941–981 (1989).
- Generation of carrier-envelope-phase-stable 2-cycle 740-μJ pulses at 2.1-μm carrier wavelength. Opt. Express 17, 62–69 (2009). et al.
- XFROG—a new method for amplitude and phase characterization of weak ultrashort pulses. Phys. Status Solidi B 206, 119–124 (1998). , &
- Generation of intense, carrier-envelope phase-locked few-cycle laser pulses through filamentation. Appl. Phys. B 79, 673–677 (2004). et al.
- Supplementary information (11.6 MB)