Quantum computers promise to solve certain problems that are forever intractable to classical computers. The first of these devices are likely to tackle bespoke problems suited to their own particular physical capabilities. Sampling the probability distribution from many bosons interfering quantum-mechanically is conjectured to be intractable to a classical computer but solvable with photons in linear optics. However, the complexity of this type of problem means its solution is mathematically unverifiable, so the task of establishing successful operation becomes one of gathering sufficiently convincing circumstantial or experimental evidence. Here, we develop scalable methods to experimentally establish correct operation for this class of computation, which we implement for three, four and five photons in integrated optical circuits, on Hilbert spaces of up to 50,000 dimensions. Our broad approach is practical for all quantum computational architectures where formal verification methods for quantum algorithms are either intractable or unknown.
At a glance
- Simulating physics with computers. Int. J. Theor. Phys. 21, 467–488 (1982).
- Experimental verification of quantum computation. Nature Phys. 9, 727–731 (2013). , , &
- Photonic quantum simulators. Nature Phys. 8, 285–291 (2012). &
- 333–342 (ACM Press, 2011). & Proceedings of the 43rd Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, San Jose
- The complexity of computing the permanent. Theor. Comput. Sci. 8, 189–201 (1979).
- Proceedings of Physics and Computation (PhysComp 96) 314–318 (New England Complex Systems Institute, 1996). &
- Quantum Information Processing Ch. 28 (Wiley, 2005).
- Multimode quantum interference of photons in multiport integrated devices. Nature Commun. 2, 224 (2011). , , , &
- 124–134 (IEEE Press, 1994). in Proceedings of the 35th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (ed. Goldwasser, S.)
- 2010). & Quantum Computation and Quantum Information (Cambridge Univ. Press,
- Photonic boson sampling in a tunable circuit. Science 339, 794–798 (2013). et al.
- Boson sampling on a photonic chip. Science 339, 798–801 (2013). et al.
- Integrated multimode interferometers with arbitrary designs for photonic boson sampling. Nature Photon. 7, 545–549 (2013). et al.
- Experimental boson sampling. Nature Photon. 7, 540–544 (2013). et al.
- Experimental realization of any discrete unitary operator. Phys. Rev. Lett. 73, 58–61 (1994). , &
- Manipulation of multiphoton entanglement in waveguide quantum circuits. Nature Photon. 3, 346–350 (2009). , , &
- Generating, manipulating and measuring entanglement and mixture with a reconfigurable photonic circuit. Nature Photon. 6, 45–49 (2012). et al.
- Complete characterization of quantum-optical processes. Science 322, 563–566 (2008). et al.
- Measurement of subpicosecond time intervals between two photons by interference. Phys. Rev. Lett. 59, 2044–2046 (1987). , &
- A polynomial-time approximation algorithm for the permanent of a matrix with nonnegative entries. J. Assoc. Comput. Mach. 51, 671–697 (2004). , &
- Boson sampling is far from uniform. Preprint at http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1309.7460 (2013). &
- Quantum and classical correlations in waveguide lattices. Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 253904 (2009). , , &
- Quantum walks of correlated photons. Science 329, 1500–1503 (2010). et al.
- Coherent time evolution and boundary conditions of two-photon quantum walks in waveguide arrays. Phys. Rev. A 88, 012308 (2013). et al.
- Observing fermionic statistics with photons in arbitrary processes. Sci. Rep. 3, 1539 (2013). et al.
- Two-particle bosonic-fermionic quantum walk via integrated photonics. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 010502 (2012). et al.
- Boson-sampling in the light of sample complexity. Preprint at http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1306.3995 (2013). , , &
- Super-stable tomography of any linear optical device. Preprint at http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1208.2868 (2012). &
- The bosonic birthday paradox. Geom. Topol. Monog. 18, 1–7 (2012). &
- General rules for bosonic bunching in multimode interferometers. Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 130503 (2013). et al.
- Highly indistinguishable heralded single-photon sources using parametric down conversion. Opt. Express 20, 15275–15285 (2012). , &
- Realization of quantum walks with negligible decoherence in waveguide lattices. Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 170506 (2008). et al.
- Boson sampling from Gaussian states. Preprint at http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1305.4346 (2013). et al.
- Efficient experimental validation of photonic boson sampling against the uniform distribution. Preprint at http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1311.1622 (2013). et al.
- Supplementary information (500 KB)