Optical frequency combs have the potential to revolutionize terabit communications1. The generation of Kerr combs in nonlinear microresonators2 is particularly promising3, enabling line spacings of tens of gigahertz. However, such combs may exhibit strong phase noise4, 5, 6, which has made high-speed data transmission impossible up to now. Here, we demonstrate that systematic adjustment of the pump conditions for low phase noise4, 7, 8, 9 enables coherent data transmission with advanced modulation formats that pose stringent requirements on the spectral purity of the comb. In a first experiment, we encode a data stream of 392 Gbit s−1 on a Kerr comb using quadrature phase-shift keying and 16-state quadrature amplitude modulation. A second experiment demonstrates feedback stabilization of the comb and transmission of a 1.44 Tbit s–1 data stream over up to 300 km. The results show that Kerr combs meet the highly demanding requirements of coherent communications and thus offer an attractive route towards chip-scale terabit-per-second transceivers.
At a glance
- 26 Tbit s−1 line-rate super-channel transmission utilizing all-optical fast Fourier transform processing. Nature Photon. 5, 364–371 (2011). et al.
- Optical frequency comb generation from a monolithic microresonator. Nature 450, 1214–1217 (2007). et al.
- High-performance silicon-nitride-based multiple-wavelength source. IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 24, 1375–1377 (2012). et al.
- Universal formation dynamics and noise of Kerr-frequency combs in microresonators. Nature Photon. 6, 480–487 (2012). et al.
- 2012). et al. in Optical Fiber Communication Conference, paper OW1C.4 (Optical Society of America,
- Observation of correlation between route to formation, coherence, noise, and communication performance of Kerr combs. Opt. Express 20, 29284–29295 (2012). et al.
- Temporal solitons in optical microresonators. Nature Photon. 8, 145–152 (2014). et al.
- Low-pump-power, low-phase-noise, and microwave to millimeter-wave repetition rate operation in microcombs. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 233901 (2012). , , &
- Octave-spanning frequency comb generation in a silicon nitride chip. Opt. Lett. 36, 3398–3400 (2011). et al.
- Device requirements for optical interconnects to silicon chips. Proc. IEEE 97, 1166–1185 (2009).
- 2011). et al. in Optical Fiber Communication Conference, paper PDPB5 (Optical Society of America,
- Towards fabless silicon photonics. Nature Photon. 4, 492–494 (2010). &
- Wavelength division multiplexing based photonic integrated circuits on silicon-on-insulator platform. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quant. 16, 23–32 (2010). et al.
- High speed receiver technology on the SOI platform. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quant. 19, 3800108 (2013). , , , &
- InP photonic integrated circuits. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quant. 16, 1113–1125 (2010). et al.
- Hybrid silicon evanescent laser fabricated with a silicon waveguide and III–V offset quantum wells. Opt. Express 13, 9460–9464 (2005). , , &
- Silicon photonics: on-chip OPOs. Nature Photon. 4, 10–12 (2010). , &
- Single-laser 32.5 Tbit/s Nyquist WDM transmission. J. Opt. Commun. Netw. 4, 715–723 (2012). et al.
- Generation of very flat optical frequency combs from continuous-wave lasers using cascaded intensity and phase modulators driven by tailored radio frequency waveforms. Opt. Lett. 35, 3234–3236 (2010). , , , &
- InAs/InP quantum-dot passively mode-locked lasers for 1.55-µm applications. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quant. 17, 1292–1301 (2011). et al.
- Microresonator-based optical frequency combs. Science 332, 555–559 (2011). , &
- Tunable optical frequency comb with a crystalline whispering gallery mode resonator. Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 093902 (2008). et al.
- CMOS-compatible integrated optical hyper-parametric oscillator. Nature Photon. 4, 41–45 (2010). et al.
- CMOS-compatible multiple-wavelength oscillator for on-chip optical interconnects. Nature Photon. 4, 37–40 (2010). et al.
- Photonic wire bonding: a novel concept for chip-scale interconnects. Opt. Express 20, 17667–17677 (2012). et al.
- 50-Gb/s silicon quadrature phase-shift keying modulator. Opt. Express 20, 21181–21186 (2012). , , , &
- Silicon-organic hybrid (SOH) IQ modulator using the linear electro-optic effect for transmitting 16QAM at 112 Gbit/s. Opt. Express 21, 13219–13227 (2013). et al.
- Real-time Nyquist pulse generation beyond 100 Gbit/s and its relation to OFDM. Opt. Express 20, 317–337 (2012). et al.
- Capacity limits of optical fiber networks. J. Lightwave Technol. 28, 662–701 (2010). , , , &
- Dynamical thermal behavior and thermal self-stability of microcavities. Opt. Express 12, 4742–4750 (2004). , &
- Supplementary information (619 KB)