Ultrafast charge transport in strongly biased semiconductors is at the heart of high-speed electronics, electro-optics and fundamental solid-state physics1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. Intense light pulses in the terahertz spectral range have opened fascinating vistas14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21. Because terahertz photon energies are far below typical electronic interband resonances, a stable electromagnetic waveform may serve as a precisely adjustable bias5, 11, 17, 19. Novel quantum phenomena have been anticipated for terahertz amplitudes, reaching atomic field strengths8, 9, 10. We exploit controlled (multi-)terahertz waveforms with peak fields of 72 MV cm−1 to drive coherent interband polarization combined with dynamical Bloch oscillations in semiconducting gallium selenide. These dynamics entail the emission of phase-stable high-harmonic transients, covering the entire terahertz-to-visible spectral domain between 0.1 and 675 THz. Quantum interference of different ionization paths of accelerated charge carriers is controlled via the waveform of the driving field and explained by a quantum theory of inter- and intraband dynamics. Our results pave the way towards all-coherent terahertz-rate electronics.
At a glance
- Űber die Quantenmechanik der Elektronen in Kristallgittern. Z. Phys. 52, 555–600 (1929).
- Non-adiabatic crossing of energy levels. Proc. R. Soc. A 137, 696–702 (1932).
- Ionization in the field of a strong electromagnetic wave. Sov. Phys. JETP 20, 1307–1314 (1965).
- Femtosecond charge transport in polar semiconductors. Phys. Rev. Lett. 82, 5140–5143 (1999). , , , &
- Coherent ballistic motion of electrons in a periodic potential. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 146602 (2010). et al.
- Observation of high-order harmonic generation in a bulk crystal. Nature Phys. 7, 138–141 (2011). et al.
- Generation and propagation of high-order harmonics in crystals. Phys. Rev. A 85, 043836 (2012). et al.
- Theoretical description of high-order harmonic generation in solids. New J. Phys. 15, 023003 (2013). , , &
- High harmonics generated in semiconductor nanostructures by the coupled dynamics of optical inter- and intraband excitations. Phys. Rev. B 77, 075330 (2008). , &
- Microscopic theory of the extremely nonlinear terahertz response of semiconductors. Phys. Status Solidi B 248, 863–866 (2011). , , &
- Extraordinary carrier multiplication gated by a picosecond electric field pulse. Nature Commun. 2, 594 (2011). et al.
- Optical-field-induced current in dielectrics. Nature 493, 70–74 (2013). et al.
- Controlling dielectrics with the electric field of light. Nature 493, 75–78 (2013). et al.
- Generation of high-power terahertz pulses by tilted-pulse-front excitation and their application possibilities. J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 25, B6–B19 (2008). , , , &
- Phase-locked generation and field-resolved detection of widely tunable terahertz pulses with amplitudes exceeding 100 MV/cm. Opt. Lett. 33, 2767–2769 (2008). , &
- Single-cycle terahertz pulses with amplitudes exceeding 1 MV/cm generated by optical rectification in LiNbO3. Appl. Phys. Lett. 98, 091106 (2011). , , &
- An ultrafast terahertz scanning/tunneling microscope. Nature Photon. 7, 620–625 (2013). et al.
- Coherent terahertz control of antiferromagnetic spin waves. Nature Photon. 5, 31–34 (2011). et al.
- Resonant and nonresonant control over matter and light by intense terahertz transients. Nature Photon. 7, 680–690 (2013). , &
- Extreme midinfrared nonlinear optics in semiconductors. Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 3292–3295 (2001). , &
- Experimental observation of electron–hole recollisions. Nature 483, 580–583 (2012). , &
- Optical investigation of Bloch oscillations in a semiconductor superlattice. Phys. Rev. B 46, 7252–7255 (1992). et al.
- Coherent submillimeter-wave emission from Bloch oscillations in a semiconductor superlattice. Phys. Rev. Lett. 70, 3319–3322 (1993). et al.
- Inverse Bloch oscillator: strong terahertz-photocurrent resonances at the Bloch frequency. Phys. Rev. Lett. 76, 2973–2976 (1996). et al.
- Low-noise current amplifier based on mesoscopic Josephson junction. Science 299, 1045–1048 (2003). et al.
- Discretizing light behaviour in linear and nonlinear waveguide lattices. Nature 424, 817–823 (2003). , &
- Quantum coherence and entanglement with ultracold atoms in optical lattices. Nature 453, 1016–1022 (2008).
- All-passive phase locking of a compact Er:fiber laser system. Opt. Lett. 36, 540–542 (2011). et al.
- Attosecond science. Nature Phys. 3, 381–387 (2007). &
- Optical properties of GaSe and GaSxSe1−x mixed crystals. Phys. Rev. B 13, 3534–3547 (1976). et al.
- Supplementary information (1,757 KB)