Large-scale integrated quantum photonic technologies1, 2 will require on-chip integration of identical photon sources with reconfigurable waveguide circuits. Relatively complex quantum circuits have been demonstrated already1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, but few studies acknowledge the pressing need to integrate photon sources and waveguide circuits together on-chip8, 9. A key step towards such large-scale quantum technologies is the integration of just two individual photon sources within a waveguide circuit, and the demonstration of high-visibility quantum interference between them. Here, we report a silicon-on-insulator device that combines two four-wave mixing sources in an interferometer with a reconfigurable phase shifter. We configured the device to create and manipulate two-colour (non-degenerate) or same-colour (degenerate) path-entangled or path-unentangled photon pairs. We observed up to 100.0 ± 0.4% visibility quantum interference on-chip, and up to 95 ± 4% off-chip. Our device removes the need for external photon sources, provides a path to increasing the complexity of quantum photonic circuits and is a first step towards fully integrated quantum technologies.
At a glance
- Photonic quantum technologies. Nature Photon. 3, 687–695 (2009). , &
- On the genesis and evolution of integrated quantum optics. Las. Photon. Rev. 1, 115–143 (2012). et al.
- Quantum walks of correlated photons. Science 329, 1500–1503 (2010). et al.
- Generating, manipulating and measuring entanglement and mixture with a reconfigurable photonic circuit. Nature Photon. 6, 45–49 (2012). et al.
- Multiphoton quantum interference in a multiport integrated photonic device. Nature Commun. 4, 1356 (2013). et al.
- Experimental boson sampling. Nature Photon. 7, 540–544 (2013). et al.
- Anderson localization of entangled photons in an integrated quantum walk. Nature Photon. 7, 322–328 (2013). et al.
- A monolithically integrated polarization entangled photon pair source on a silicon chip. Sci. Rep. 2, 817 (2012). et al.
- A quantum relay chip based on telecommunication integrated optics technology. New J. Phys. 14, 025002 (2012). , , , &
- The past, present, and future of silicon photonics. J. Sel. Top. Quant. Electron. 12, 1678–1687 (2006).
- Large-scale nanophotonic phased array. Nature 493, 195–199 (2013). , , , &
- Silicon optical modulators. Nature Photon. 4, 518–526 (2010). , , &
- Quantum interference and manipulation of entanglement in silicon wire waveguide quantum circuits. New J. Phys. 14, 045003 (2012). et al.
- Generation of correlated photons in nanoscale silicon waveguides. Opt. Express 14, 12388–12393 (2006). et al.
- Continuous wave photon pair generation in silicon-on-insulator waveguides and ring resonators. Opt. Express 17, 16558–16570 (2009). et al.
- Generation of polarization entangled photon pairs using silicon wire waveguide. Opt. Express 16, 5721–5727 (2008). et al.
- Ultra-low power generation of twin photons in a compact silicon ring resonator. Opt. Express 20, 23100–23107 (2012). et al.
- Slow-light enhanced correlated photon pair generation in a silicon photonic crystal waveguide. Opt. Lett. 36, 3413–3415 (2011). et al.
- Rangel-Rojo, R., Evans, R. & Camacho-López, S. Ultrabroadband photon pair preparation by spontaneous four-wave mixing in a dispersion-engineered optical fiber. Phys. Rev. A 78, 043827 (2008). ,
- Deterministic quantum splitter based on time-reversed Hong–Ou–Mandel interference. Phys. Rev. A 76, 031804(R) (2007). , &
- Manipulation of multiphoton entanglement in waveguide quantum circuits. Nature Photon. 3, 346–350 (2009). , , &
- Two-color photons and nonlocality in fourth-order interference. Phys. Rev. A 41, 5139–5146 (1990). &
- Discrete tunable color entanglement. Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 253601 (2009). , , , &
- Can two-photon interference be considered the interference of two photons? Phys. Rev. Lett. 77, 1917–1920 (1996). et al.
- Measurement of subpicosecond time intervals between two photons by interference. Phys. Rev. Lett. 59, 2044–2046 (1987). , &
- Observation of spatial quantum beating with separated photodetectors. Phys. Rev. Lett. 61, 54–57 (1988). &
- Multiphoton entanglement and interferometry. Rev. Mod. Phys. 84, 777–838 (2012). et al.
- High-fidelity operation of quantum photonic circuits. Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 211109 (2010). et al.
- Stimulated and spontaneous four-wave mixing in silicon-on-insulator coupled photonic wire nano-cavities. Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 031117 (2013). et al.
- Observation of eight-photon entanglement. Nature Photon. 6, 225–228 (2012). et al.
- Experimental demonstration of topological error correction. Nature 482, 489–494 (2012). et al.
- Experimental generation of single photons via active multiplexing. Phys. Rev. A 83, 043814 (2011). , , , &
- Efficient generation of single and entangled photons on a silicon photonic integrated chip. Phys. Rev. A 84, 052326 (2011). &
- Fabrication of low-loss photonic wires in silicon-on-insulator using hydrogen silsesquioxane electron-beam resist. Electron. Lett. 44, 115–116 (2008). , , , &
- A compact and low-loss MMI coupler fabricated with CMOS technology. IEEE Photon. J. 4, 2272–2277 (2012). et al.
- Supplementary information (719 KB)