When an atom strongly couples to a cavity, the two systems can coherently exchange a single quantum excitation through the process of vacuum Rabi oscillation. Controlling this process enables precise synthesis of non-classical light, which plays a central role in quantum information and measurement. Although this control has been realized in microwave-frequency devices, it has been difficult to achieve at optical frequencies, which are essential for quantum communication and metrology. Here, we demonstrate coherent control of vacuum Rabi oscillation in an optical frequency device. We use a photonic molecule composed of two coupled nanocavities to simultaneously achieve strong coupling and a cavity-enhanced a.c. Stark shift. The Stark shift tunes a single quantum dot onto resonance with the photonic molecule on picosecond timescales, creating fast coherent transfer of energy between an atomic and photonic excitation. These results enable ultrafast control of light–matter quantum interactions in a nanophotonic device platform.
At a glance
- Quantum state transfer and entanglement distribution among distant nodes in a quantum network. Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 3221–3224 (1997). , , &
- The quantum internet. Nature 453, 1023–1030 (2008).
- A quantum dot single-photon turnstile device. Science 290, 2282–2285 (2000). et al.
- Coherent generation of non-classical light on a chip via photon-induced tunnelling and blockade. Nature Phys. 4, 859–863 (2008). et al.
- Strongly correlated photons on a chip. Nature Photon. 6, 93–96 (2012). et al.
- Advances in quantum metrology. Nature Photon. 5, 222–229 (2011). , &
- Cavity-based single atom preparation and high-fidelity hyperfine state readout. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 203602 (2010). et al.
- Strong coupling in a single quantum dot–semiconductor microcavity system. Nature 432, 197–200 (2004). et al.
- Vacuum Rabi splitting with a single quantum dot in a photonic crystal nanocavity. Nature 432, 200–203 (2004). et al.
- Controlling cavity reflectivity with a single quantum dot. Nature 450, 857–861 (2007). et al.
- Fast excitation and photon emission of a single-atom-cavity system. Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 223601 (2008). et al.
- Ultrafast photon–photon interaction in a strongly coupled quantum dot–cavity system. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 093604 (2012). et al.
- Low-photon-number optical switching with a single quantum dot coupled to a photonic crystal cavity. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 227402 (2012). , , , &
- Ultrafast all-optical switching by single photons. Nature Photon. 6, 605–609 (2012). et al.
- Optical nonlinearity for few-photon pulses on a quantum dot–pillar cavity device. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 166806 (2012). et al.
- Reversible state transfer between light and a single trapped atom. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 193601 (2007). , , , &
- An elementary quantum network of single atoms in optical cavities. Nature 484, 195–200 (2012). et al.
- A quantum logic gate between a solid-state quantum bit and a photon. Nature Photon. 7, 373–377 (2013). , , , &
- Nondestructive detection of an optical photon. Science 342, 1349–1351 (2013). , &
- Generation of Fock states in a superconducting quantum circuit. Nature 454, 310–314 (2008). et al.
- Synthesizing arbitrary quantum states in a superconducting resonator. Nature 459, 546–549 (2009). et al.
- Large mode splitting and lasing in optimally coupled photonic-crystal microcavities. Opt. Express 19, 2619–2625 (2011). , , &
- Optical modes in photonic molecules. Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 2582–2585 (1998). et al.
- All-optical tuning of a quantum dot in a coupled cavity system. Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 231107 (2012). , , &
- Ultrabright source of entangled photon pairs. Nature 466, 217–220 (2010). et al.
- Cavity quantum electrodynamics with a single quantum dot coupled to a photonic molecule. Phys. Rev. B 86, 045315 (2012). , , &
- Large optical Stark shifts in semiconductor quantum dots coupled to photonic crystal cavities. Appl. Phys. Lett. 98, 121109 (2011). , , &
- Non-resonant dot–cavity coupling and its potential for resonant single-quantum-dot spectroscopy. Nature Photon. 3, 724–728 (2009). et al.
- Femtosecond studies of coherent transients in semiconductors. Phys. Rev. Lett. 59, 2588–2591 (1987). et al.
- Transient oscillations in the vicinity of excitons and in the band of semiconductors. Phys. Rev. B 38, 7615–7621 (1988). et al.
- Ultrafast nonlinear optical response of photoexcited Ge/SiGe quantum wells: evidence for a femtosecond transient population inversion. Phys. Rev. B 79, 201306 (2009). et al.
- Coherent nonlinear optical response of single quantum dots studied by ultrafast near-field spectroscopy. Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 057401 (2002). et al.
- A computational toolbox for quantum and atomic optics. J. Opt. B 1, 424–432 (1999).
- Quantum nature of a strongly coupled single quantum dot–cavity system. Nature 445, 896–899 (2007). et al.
- Ultra-high-Q photonic double-heterostructure nanocavity. Nature Mater. 4, 207–210 (2005). , , &
- Vacuum Rabi splitting with a single quantum dot embedded in a H1 photonic crystal nanocavity. Appl. Phys. Lett. 94, 033102 (2009). et al.
- Cavity quantum electrodynamics and lasing oscillation in single quantum dot–photonic crystal nanocavity coupled systems. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 18, 1818–1829 (2012). , , , &
- High-Q photonic nanocavity in a two-dimensional photonic crystal. Nature 425, 944–947 (2003). , , &
- Supplementary information (811 KB)