Quantum teleportation1 is a cornerstone of quantum information science due to its essential role in important tasks such as the long-distance transmission of quantum information using quantum repeaters2, 3. This requires the efficient distribution of entanglement between remote nodes of a network4. Here, we demonstrate quantum teleportation of the polarization state of a telecom-wavelength photon onto the state of a solid-state quantum memory. Entanglement is established between a rare-earth-ion-doped crystal storing a single photon that is polarization-entangled with a flying telecom-wavelength photon5, 6. The latter is jointly measured with another flying polarization qubit to be teleported, which heralds the teleportation. The fidelity of the qubit retrieved from the memory is shown to be greater than the maximum fidelity achievable without entanglement, even when the combined distances travelled by the two flying qubits is 25 km of standard optical fibre. Our results demonstrate the possibility of long-distance quantum networks with solid-state resources.
At a glance
- Teleporting an unknown quantum state via dual classical and Einstein–Podolsky–Rosen channels. Phys. Rev. Lett. 70, 1895–1899 (1993). et al.
- Quantum repeaters: the role of imperfect local operations in quantum communication. Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 5932–5935 (1998). , , &
- Quantum repeaters based on atomic ensembles and linear optics. Rev. Mod. Phys. 83, 33–80 (2011). , , &
- The quantum internet. Nature 453, 1023–1030 (2008).
- Quantum storage of photonic entanglement in a crystal. Nature 469, 508–511 (2011). et al.
- Broadband waveguide quantum memory for entangled photons. Nature 469, 512–515 (2011). et al.
- Linear optical quantum computing with photonic qubits. Rev. Mod. Phys. 79, 135–174 (2007). et al.
- Quantum teleportation between light and matter. Nature 443, 557–560 (2006). et al.
- Deterministic quantum teleportation between distant atomic objects. Nature Phys. 9, 400–404 (2013). et al.
- Memory-built-in quantum teleportation with photonic and atomic qubits. Nature Phys. 4, 103–107 (2008). et al.
- Quantum teleportation between remote atomic-ensemble quantum memories. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109, 20347–20351 (2012). et al.
- Quantum teleportation between distant matter qubits. Science 323, 486–489 (2009). et al.
- Efficient teleportation between remote single-atom quantum memories. Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 140403 (2013). et al.
- Quantum teleportation from a propagating photon to a solid-state spin qubit. Nature Commun. 4, 3744 (2013). et al.
- Quantum repeaters with photon pair sources and multimode memories. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 190503 (2007). et al.
- Multimode quantum memory based on atomic frequency combs. Phys. Rev. A 79, 052329 (2009). , , &
- Efficient quantum memory for light. Nature 465, 1052–1056 (2010). , , &
- Efficient quantum memory using a weakly absorbing sample. Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 133604 (2013). , , &
- Stopped light with storage times greater than one second using electromagnetically induced transparency in a solid. Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 063601 (2005). , , &
- Stopped light and image storage by electromagnetically induced transparency up to the regime of one minute. Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 033601 (2013). , &
- Mapping multiple photonic qubits into and out of one solid-state atomic ensemble. Nature Commun. 1, 12 (2010). , , &
- Single-photon-level optical storage in a solid-state spin-wave memory. Phys. Rev. A 88, 022324 (2013). , , , &
- Quantum storage of heralded polarization qubits in birefringent and anisotropically absorbing materials. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 190503 (2012). , , &
- Quantum storage of a photonic polarization qubit in a solid. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 190504 (2012). , , , &
- Realization of reliable solid-state quantum memory for photonic polarization qubit. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 190505 (2012). , , , &
- Detecting single infrared photons with 93% system efficiency. Nature Photon. 7, 210–214 (2013). et al.
- Optimal extraction of information from finite quantum ensembles. Phys. Rev. Lett. 74, 1259–1263 (1995). &
- Long distance quantum teleportation in a quantum relay configuration. Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 047904 (2004). et al.
- Anisotropic rare-earth spin ensmble strongly coupled to a superconducting resonator. Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 157001 (2013). et al.
- Deterministic quantum teleportation with feed-forward in a solid state system. Nature 500, 319–322 (2013). et al.
- Supplementary information (4,980 KB)