Generating quantum light emitters that operate at room temperature and at telecom wavelengths remains a significant materials challenge. To achieve this goal requires light sources that emit in the near-infrared wavelength region and that, ideally, are tunable to allow desired output wavelengths to be accessed in a controllable manner. Here, we show that exciton localization at covalently introduced aryl sp3 defect sites in single-walled carbon nanotubes provides a route to room-temperature single-photon emission with ultrahigh single-photon purity (99%) and enhanced emission stability approaching the shot-noise limit. Moreover, we demonstrate that the inherent optical tunability of single-walled carbon nanotubes, present in their structural diversity, allows us to generate room-temperature single-photon emission spanning the entire telecom band. Single-photon emission deep into the centre of the telecom C band (1.55 µm) is achieved at the largest nanotube diameters we explore (0.936 nm).
At a glance
- Single-photon sources. Rep. Prog. Phys. 68, 1129–1179 (2005). &
- Diamond-based single-photon emitters. Rep. Prog. Phys. 74, 076501 (2011). et al.
- Quantum computing with defects. MRS Bull. 38, 802–807 (2013). et al.
- Nitrogen-vacancy centers: physics and applications. MRS Bull. 38, 127–133 (2013). &
- Solid-state single-photon emitters. Nat. Photon. 10, 631–641 (2016). , &
- Single-photon emission at 1.5 µm from an InAs/InP quantum dot with highly suppressed multi-photon emission probabilities. Appl. Phys. Lett. 109, 132106 (2016). et al.
- Optically active quantum dots in monolayer WSe2. Nat. Nanotech. 10, 491–496 (2015). et al.
- Single quantum emitters in monolayer semiconductors. Nat. Nanotech. 10, 497–501 (2015). et al.
- Single photon emitters in exfoliated WSe2 structures. Nat. Nanotech. 10, 503–506 (2015). et al.
- Voltage-controlled quantum light from an atomically thin semiconductor. Nat. Nanotech. 10, 507–512 (2015). , , , &
- Quantum emission from hexagonal boron nitride monolayers. Nat. Nanotech. 11, 37–41 (2016). , , , &
- Room-temperature single-photon generation from solitary dopants of carbon nanotubes. Nat. Nanotech. 10, 671–675 (2015). , , , &
- Robust multicolor single photon emission from point defects in hexagonal boron nitride. ACS Nano 10, 7331–7338 (2016). et al.
- Photon antibunching in the photoluminescence spectra of a single carbon nanotube. Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 217401 (2008). , , &
- Quantum light signatures and nanosecond spectral diffusion from cavity-embedded carbon nanotubes. Nano Lett. 12, 1934–1941 (2012). , &
- Bright, long-lived and coherent excitons in carbon nanotube quantum dots. Nat. Nanotech. 8, 502–505 (2013). et al.
- Ubiquity of exciton localization in cryogenic carbon nanotubes. Nano Lett. 16, 2958–2962 (2016). , , , &
- Oxygen doping modifies near-infrared band gaps in fluorescent single-walled carbon nanotubes. Science 330, 1656–1659 (2010). , , , &
- Electronic structure and chemical nature of oxygen dopant states in carbon nanotubes. ACS Nano 8, 10782–10789 (2014). et al.
- Solid-state approach for fabrication of photostable, oxygen-doped carbon nanotubes. Adv. Funct. Mater. 25, 6157–6164 (2015). , , , &
- Structure-assigned optical spectra of single-walled carbon nanotubes. Science 298, 2361–2366 (2002). et al.
- Carbon nanotube photonics and optoelectronics. Nat. Photon. 2, 341–350 (2008). , &
- Fully integrated quantum photonic circuit with an electrically driven light source. Nat. Photon. 10, 727–732 (2016). et al.
- Ultralow mode-volume photonic crystal nanobeam cavities for high-efficiency coupling to individual carbon nanotube emitters. Nat. Commun. 5, 5580 (2014). et al.
- Widely tunable single-photon source from a carbon nanotube in the Purcell regime. Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 247402 (2016). et al.
- Broadband tunable, polarization-selective and directional emission of (6,5) carbon nanotubes coupled to plasmonic crystals. Nano Lett. 16, 3278–3284 (2016). et al.
- Photoluminescence imaging of solitary dopant sites in covalently doped single-wall carbon nanotubes. Nanoscale 7, 20521–20530 (2015). et al.
- Brightening of carbon nanotube photoluminescence through the incorporation of sp3 defects. Nat. Chem. 5, 840–845 (2013). et al.
- Tuning of the photoluminescence and upconversion photoluminescence properties of single-walled carbon nanotubes by chemical functionalization. Nanoscale 8, 16916–16921 (2016). et al.
- Experimental realization of an absolute single-photon source based on a single nitrogen vacancy center in diamond. Optica 4, 71–76 (2017). et al.
- Single-photon emission in telecommunication band from an InAs quantum dot grown on InP with molecular-beam epitaxy. Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 061114 (2013). et al.
- A single molecule as a high-fidelity photon gun for producing intensity-squeezed light. Nat. Photon. 11, 58–62 (2017). , &
- Prolonged spontaneous emission and dephasing of localized excitons in air-bridged carbon nanotubes. Nat. Commun. 4, 2152 (2013). et al.
- Diamond nanophotonics. Adv. Opt. Mater. 2, 911–928 (2014). &
- Photoluminescence dynamics of aryl sp3 defect states in single-walled carbon nanotubes. ACS Nano 10, 8355–8365 (2016). et al.
- Disorder limited exciton transport in colloidal single-wall carbon nanotubes. Nano Lett. 12, 5091–5096 (2012). et al.
- Luminescence properties of individual empty and water-filled single-walled carbon nanotubes. ACS Nano 6, 2649–2655 (2012). et al.
- Polyfluorene-sorted, carbon nanotube array field-effect transistors with increased current density and high on/off ratio. ACS Nano 8, 11614–11621 (2014). et al.
- Molecularly tunable fluorescent quantum defects. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 138, 6878–6885 (2016). et al.
- Emergence of new red-shifted carbon nanotube photoluminescence based on proximal doped-site design. Sci. Rep. 6, 28393 (2016). , , &
- Photoluminescence imaging of polyfluorene surface structures on semiconducting carbon nanotubes: implications for thin film exciton transport. ACS Nano 10, 11449–11458 (2016). et al.
- Role of surfactants and salt in aqueous two-phase separation of carbon nanotubes toward simple chirality isolation. ACS Nano 8, 1619–1628 (2014). et al.
- Isolation of specific small-diameter single-wall carbon nanotube species via aqueous two-phase extraction. Adv. Mater. 26, 2800–2804 (2014). et al.
- Industrial-scale separation of high-purity single-chirality single-wall carbon nanotubes for biological imaging. Nat. Commun. 7, 12056 (2016). et al.
- Optical excitation of carbon nanotubes drives localized diazonium reactions. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 7, 3690–3694 (2016). , &
- Supplementary information (2,372 KB)