Artificial neural networks are computational network models inspired by signal processing in the brain. These models have dramatically improved performance for many machine-learning tasks, including speech and image recognition. However, today's computing hardware is inefficient at implementing neural networks, in large part because much of it was designed for von Neumann computing schemes. Significant effort has been made towards developing electronic architectures tuned to implement artificial neural networks that exhibit improved computational speed and accuracy. Here, we propose a new architecture for a fully optical neural network that, in principle, could offer an enhancement in computational speed and power efficiency over state-of-the-art electronics for conventional inference tasks. We experimentally demonstrate the essential part of the concept using a programmable nanophotonic processor featuring a cascaded array of 56 programmable Mach–Zehnder interferometers in a silicon photonic integrated circuit and show its utility for vowel recognition.
At a glance
- Deep learning. Nature 521, 436–444 (2015). , &
- Mastering the game of go with deep neural networks and tree search. Nature 529, 484–489 (2016). et al.
- Human-level control through deep reinforcement learning. Nature 518, 529–533 (2015). et al.
- ImageNet classification with deep convolutional neural networks. Proc. NIPS 1097–1105 (2012). , &
- Convolutional networks for fast, energy efficient neuromorphic computing. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 113, 11441–11446 (2016). et al.
- Neuromorphic electronic systems. Proc. IEEE 78, 1629–1636 (1990).
- Neuromorphic silicon neurons and large-scale neural networks: challenges and opportunities. Front. Neurosci. 5, 108 (2011). &
- ISAAC: a convolutional neural network accelerator with in-situ analog arithmetic in crossbars. Proc. ISCA 43, 14–26 (2016). et al.
- Artificial neural networks in hardware: a survey of two decades of progress. Neurocomputing 74, 239–255 (2010). &
- Eyeriss: an energy-efficient reconfigurable accelerator for deep convolutional neural networks. IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits 52, 127–138 (2017). , , &
- Hybrid computing using a neural network with dynamic external memory. Nature 538, 471–476 (2016). et al.
- 183–222 (Springer, 2014). , , , & in Nanophotonic Information Physics (ed. Naruse, M.)
- Broadcast and weight: an integrated network for scalable photonic spike processing. J. Lightw. Technol. 32, 3427–3439 (2014). , , &
- Recent progress in semiconductor excitable lasers for photonic spike processing. Adv. Opt. Phot. 8, 228–299 (2016). , , , &
- Experimental demonstration of reservoir computing on a silicon photonics chip. Nat. Commun. 5, 3541 (2014). et al.
- Information processing using a single dynamical node as complex system. Nat. Commun. 2, 468 (2011). et al.
- Photonic information processing beyond Turing: an optoelectronic implementation of reservoir computing. Opt. Express 20, 3241–3249 (2012). et al.
- Optoelectronic reservoir computing. Sci. Rep. 2, 287 (2011). et al.
- Zero-bias 40gbit/s germanium waveguide photodetector on silicon. Opt. Express 20, 1096–1101 (2012). et al.
- Low loss etchless silicon photonic waveguides. Opt. Express 17, 4752–4757 (2009). et al.
- 2013). , & On-chip optical matrix-vector multiplier. In SPIE Optical Engineering + Applications, 88550F (International Society for Optics and Photonics,
- Optical implementation of the Hopfield model. Appl. Opt. 24, 1469–1475 (1985). , , &
- Bosonic transport simulations in a large-scale programmable nanophotonic processor. Preprint at http://arXiv.org/abs/1507.03406 (2015). et al.
- Deep learning in neural networks: an overview. Neural Netw. 61, 85–117 (2015).
- 1995). & Solving Least Squares Problems Vol. 15 (SIAM,
- Perfect optics with imperfect components. Optica 2, 747–750 (2015).
- Experimental realization of any discrete unitary operator. Phys. Rev. Lett. 73, 58–61 (1994). , , &
- 2007). Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers (Springer Science & Business Media,
- Pulse transmission through a saturable absorber. Br. J. Appl. Phys. 18, 743 (1967).
- Monolayer graphene as a saturable absorber in a mode-locked laser. Nano Res. 4, 297–307 (2010). et al.
- Nonlinear mirror based on two-photon absorption. J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 14, 2865–2868 (1997). &
- Optimal bistable switching in nonlinear photonic crystals. Phys. Rev. E 66, 055601 (2002). , , , &
- Experimental observations of bistability and instability in a two-dimensional nonlinear optical superlattice. Phys. Rev. Lett. 71, 3959–3962 (1993). &
- Optical bistability infinite-size nonlinear bidimensional photonic crystals doped by a microcavity. Phys. Rev. B 62, R7683–R7686 (2000). &
- Sub-femtojoule all-optical switching using a photonic-crystal nanocavity. Nat. Photon. 4, 477–483 (2010). et al.
- Integrated all-photonic non-volatile multilevel memory. Nat. Photon. 9, 725–732 (2015). et al.
- Imagenet Classification with Deep Convolutional Neural Networks (eds Pereira, F., Burges, C. J. C., Bottou, L. & Weinberger, K. Q.) 1097–1105 (Curran Associates, 2012). , & in
- In-plane optical absorption and free carrier absorption in graphene-on-silicon waveguides. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 20, 43–48 (2014). , , , &
- 901–908 (Springer, 2004). & in PRICAI 2004: Trends in Artificial Intelligence (eds Booth, R. & Zhang, M.-L.)
- Speaker Normalisation for Automatic Speech Recognition. PhD thesis, Univ. Cambridge (1990).
- Reducing the dimensionality of data with neural networks. Science 313, 504–507 (2006). &
- A 25 Gb/s silicon photonics platform. Preprint at http://arXiv.org/abs/1203.0767 (2012). et al.
- Efficient, compact and low loss thermo-optic phase shifter in silicon. Opt. Express 22, 10487–10493 (2014). et al.
- Robust optimization with simulated annealing. J. Global Optim. 48, 323–334 (2010). &
- Optically reconfigurable metasurfaces and photonic devices based on phase change materials. Nat. Photon. 10, 60–65 (2016). et al.
- Fast bistable all-optical switch and memory on a silicon photonic crystal on-chip. Opt. Lett. 30, 2575–2577 (2005). , , , &
- 2014 IEEE Int. Solid-State Circuits Conf. Digest of Technical Papers (ISSCC) 10–14 (IEEE, 2014). Computing's energy problem. In
- Int. Conf. Machine Learning (2016). , & Unitary evolution recurrent neural networks. In
- Large-scale nanophotonic phased array. Nature 493, 195–199 (2013). , , , &
- Photonic Floquet topological insulators. Nature 496, 196–200 (2013). et al.
- Proc. 22nd ACM Int. Conf. Multimedia (MM ’14), 675–678 (ACM, 2014). et al. Caffe: convolutional architecture for fast feature embedding. In
- Single-chip microprocessor that communicates directly using light. Nature 528, 534–538 (2015). et al.
- Supplementary information (1.37 KB)